VMware Cloud Community
mitko577
Contributor
Contributor

Physical to Virtual - Archlinux

Hello all,

I have just install ESXi 6.0 in order to test virtualization of physcal machines. I managed to virtualize my Windows servers, but unfortunatelly I did not managed to do it with Linux machine, After successful virtualization, the new system (the virtual one) wount boot. The error is in the attached picture

Please advice !

Thank you in advance !

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Alistar
Expert
Expert

Hello,

it seems that you could use some inspection of /etc/fstab in recovery mode. Maybe the device naming (mainly /dev/sda2) or UUIDs got changed after you have virtualized the machine, this is why the mounting fails and then eventually it crashes.

In rescue mode, can you post the output of blkid and cat /etc/fstab?

Thanks!

Stop by my blog if you'd like 🙂 I dabble in vSphere troubleshooting, PowerCLI scripting and NetApp storage - and I share my journeys at http://vmxp.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
mitko577
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your help !

Please find attached screenshot of the required.

Best Regards,

Dimitar

0 Kudos
Alistar
Expert
Expert

Another thing occurred to me - is the /sysroot folder even present in the filesystem? Can you please check? Perhaps it got "lost" somehow and you can't mount in a non-existent area - this must point to an empty directory.

Anyways, everything looks fine here. You could try replacing the /dev/sda2 in /etc/fstab with its UUID just to be really sure that the right drive is referenced on the boot-up. Make sure to backup everything before you do so and double check that the UUID is right. How you do is that you would copy the whole uuid so the line with /dev/sda would instead look like this:

UUID=54e03a9e-c4e6-4647-9173-088b32729888     /     ext3     defaults     0     1

Fingers crossed and good luck!

Stop by my blog if you'd like 🙂 I dabble in vSphere troubleshooting, PowerCLI scripting and NetApp storage - and I share my journeys at http://vmxp.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
mitko577
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I did everyting that you mentioned, but the problem was not solved.

I tried another physical machine with Debian installed and got the same problem. Any other ideas ? Smiley Happy

0 Kudos