VMware Cloud Community
Doldrums
Contributor
Contributor

Panic requested by another PCPU caused by Win Server 2019 on boot

We have a long running ESXi instance (6.7.0 Update 3 2) that has been running a Win Server 2019 for over a year.  Upon a recent reboot, we are getting a red screen of death reading:

"Panic requested by another PCPU".

We have a mid-day snapshot from a few days back, and that will run fine.  But, once we reboot the VM, Windows will start to boot up (never get to the logon screen) and then freeze.  About a minute later the ESXI monitor will show this again.

I'm at a complete loss in how to diagnose and fix this issue.  The server is up and running right now (has been for hours), but a reboot will put us back in this state after about 5 minutes.

Any ideas?  I'll gladly supply any logs, etc.  Or, follow any links in collecting what is needed to further a solution.

Thank you for your time!

Message was edited by: Hugh O'Donnell Noted that now on Update 3.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Not sure, but there's a chance that you are hitting an issue that had been fixed with Update 3, so in this case you may consider to update/patch the host unless there's a reason not to do this.

André

0 Kudos
Doldrums
Contributor
Contributor

We upgraded to Update 3 and the problem still exists.  Any more ideas?  Any insight into log files and where I can dig?

0 Kudos
Doldrums
Contributor
Contributor

We built another ESXi test machine and put these same VMDKs into another server configuration and they worked fine.

Anyone know how I can troubleshoot this?

0 Kudos