VMware Cloud Community
jbando2000
Contributor
Contributor

PSOD During ESXi Installation - v5.5 & v5.1u1

Hello all,

Recently attempted to install ESXi v5.5, then v5.1u1 on an Oracle X4-2.  Every time, I run into a PSOD with 'Exception 14'.  I've walked through Oracle's installation guide for ESXi and followed it, but issue still keeps coming:

#PF Exception 14 in world 33405:  jumpstart IP 0x41800ac7324c addr 0x28

I've attached the PSOD screenshot.

I've looked at KBs and other 'Exception 14' posts here on the communities, but don't see any that occur during the installation phase.

Wondering if anyone out there has actually accomplished this installation.  I notice the model is on VMware's HCL, so someone must have at some point.

Any and all help is appreciated.

crash.JPG

0 Kudos
7 Replies
john23
Commander
Commander

can you share the VMware HCL link, which mentioned about supported hardware? I just  tried ,unable to find this server.

Thanks -A Read my blogs: www.openwriteup.com
0 Kudos
grace27
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Welcome to the communities.

please check the IP 6 in case its enabled ?.

If enabled please disabled and check it .

0 Kudos
jbando2000
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
jbando2000
Contributor
Contributor

Enabled where?  We never get to the point about network settings during the installation.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
jbando2000
Contributor
Contributor

Ended up getting the install to work after wiping out RAID settings and resetting at RAID0.

0 Kudos
starfire2001
Contributor
Contributor

Would you please let me know the detail to get the workaround,

I am doing the same thing, but never success on X4-2 server. Always PSOD.

my email is: hyux@msn.com

0 Kudos
pburdine
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same issue.  The only solution I have found is that ALL drives must be part of a volume or labeled as hot spares.  If any drive is left in the unconfigured state, you will get  PSOD every time.

I have a x4-2L with 12 3.5" drives in the front and 2 SAS drives in the rear.  The raid controller only allows 2 volumes, and a max of 10 drives per volume, so you will always have to mark at least 2 drives as spare because they can't be added to the other volumes.

--Peter

0 Kudos