VMware Cloud Community
vellu
Contributor
Contributor

PRIMERGY TX100 S2 support

Hi,

We are investing to a new entry level server. We are planning to buy Fujitsu PRIMERGY TX100 S2 and virtualize it with VMware ESXi 4.1.

Here isthe server's datasheet: https://globalsp.ts.fujitsu.com/dmsp/docs/ds-py-tx100-s2.pdf

Has anybody used ESXi with this server? Is it fully compatible with ESXi? Is the server's raid supported in ESXi?

I didn't found anything from VMware compatibility database. Please, give me some advice with this.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
mossko
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I used to work for Fujitsu. This model is quite old but seems to have been refreshed with new CPU options (core i3).

If you haven't found this server listed in the VMware Hardware Compatability List, then it's not officially supported.

The RAID controller on the TX100 (Intel PCH 3420) does not appear to be supported by the VMware community either.

Many of the BX (620,630,92x) and RX (200,300) series servers are officially supported by VMware. I would recommend one of the RX servers as the next cheapest model up.

You can try the Community Hardware Software Support

http://communities.vmware.com/cshwsw.jspa

0 Kudos
vellu
Contributor
Contributor

Thank's for your answer.

I don't think I can fit RX class rack server to our budget because we have very tight budget with this server... Server purpose is to run testing vm's and small office server (Windows). So, if raid is not supported that isn't serious issue because I can allways take vm backups with

TX100 S2 comes with Windows 2008 Foundation (with very cheap price!) which I planned to deploy to ESXi for small business server.

Plan B is that I install VMware Server 2.0.2 to that Windows server and run testing machines with that but I think ESXi is much better.

0 Kudos
whitelinus
Contributor
Contributor

Hello!

Did you install esxi successfully on Fujitsu TX100 S2? Is the raid the only issue?

Thanks

0 Kudos
vellu
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I decided to instal VMware Server on top of Windows Server 2008 R2 host that shipped with TX100 S2. VMware server just runs our test machines (not so critical) and with this setup I have raid 1 (with alarms etc.)+good performance on host system when needed (for ex. load testing tool) . For now I like this configuration very much.

I googled lot of information about TX100 S2+esxi setup and I think that there will be problems with raid. Also I found information that the S2 integrated network card might not work.

So, if somebody has installed ESXi to the TX100 S2 can confirm these. I am still interested about this issue Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
whitelinus
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I would like to know if the integrated network card works too.. raid isn't a major issue imo, but integrated network card is essential. Can someone confirm?

Thanks

0 Kudos
whitelinus
Contributor
Contributor

TFound some reports that could make possible the onboard lan card work with esxi

Check at http://communities.vmware.com/message/1549883

Anyone can confirm?

0 Kudos
qhash
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

both the lan card and raid controller do not work "out of the box". however, raid controller can be set to "ahci" mode and then you may use all of the drives for VMs but they will be each drive for itself. in that mode the internal transfer on RHEL is 50MB/s (guest system in ESXi)

i will try trick from the link 2 posts above and let you know if the onboard lan card will work

0 Kudos