VMware Cloud Community
JimGravelle
Contributor
Contributor

OpenSUSE 11.4 Tools Install Failure

Hi,

I'm having some challenges configuring VMware Tools on my OpenSUSE 11.4 guest.  I've just upgraded my ESXi server from 5.0 to 5.1.  The upgrade of the server went flawlessly, but the problems started when trying to upgrade the tools on my OpenSUSE 11.4 guest.  I first tried the upgrade via the vSphere Client, but that failed with a non-descript error.

So I decided to upgrade it old school:  via the console/terminal.  After receiving several messages I don't ever remember seeing before and a failure at the end I uninstalled the previous VMware tools, rebooted, then tried again.  I recieved those same messages.  They were as follows:

The module vmxnet3 has already been installed on this system by another

installer or package and will not be modified by this installer.  Use the flag

--clobber-kernel-modules=vmxnet3 to override.

The module pvscsi has already been installed on this system by another

--clobber-kernel-modules=pvscsi to override.

The module vmmemctl has already been installed on this system by another

--clobber-kernel-modules=vmmemctl to override.

Distribution provided drivers for Xorg X server are used.

Skipping X configuration because X drivers are not included.

Followed by the error:

Unable to configure the initrd modules file at /etc/sysconfig/kernel. Execution

aborted.

Now I was able to figure out the last error by reading the "vmware-config-tools.pl" file and noticed in the "configure_initrd_suse" section starting on line 7,511 that the config fails if the "INITRD_MODULES" key is missing in the "/etc/sysconfig/kernel" file.  Simply adding the a blank entry that looks like this:

INITRD_MODULES=""

...at the end of the "/etc/sysconfig/kernel" fixed that issue.  A quick re-run of the VMware Tools config file and all is happy again.  Just wanted to put what I found in here just in case someone else runs into this issue...and this how to fix it easily.  I couldn't find the error anywhere on the web..including in the VMware KB.  Also, not sure if the VMware developers monitor these forums, but a better message that the "INITRD_MODULES" key is missing, or give the option to create it would be better then just quitting the way it did...just me two cents.  😉

I am wondering though if I have to worry about the other messages regarding the kernel modules and the X drivers?  I couldn't find a "vmmemctl" file anywhere, except with the vmware-tools stuff, so I did the "clobber" command (hope I didn't break anything)...but what about the others?  There is already a "vmxnet3" and "pvscsi" kernel module that came with OpenSUSE 11.4...should I clobber them also?

Cheers,

Jim.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
neugartIT
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Jim,

thank you very much for your sollution!

This saved me a lot of time!

0 Kudos
emma234
Contributor
Contributor

Hi   neugartIT ,

Welcome to communites.

please let us know if you had planning to do that .

Please keep in mind for every one same problem may not occur .If having doubt you may test in test environment instead of production.

"He Conquers, Who Conquers Himself."
0 Kudos
neugartIT
Contributor
Contributor

Hi emma234,

we updated our VMware environment last week. New hardware and new softwareversion. So this was a planned task.

0 Kudos
gdoornenbal
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Jim,

Same issue here, while upgrading vmware-tools 5.0 to 5.1.  My guest system is however a Suse Linux Enterprise Server SLES11SP2 machine.  So it can happen also on SLES.  (Other SLES 11.2 machines went well, this machine differs from the others because i did an upgrade from SLES10 to SLES11 on it.  (Which worked very smooth!)

Your solution works great! thanks!

Gerrit.

0 Kudos
RaetsMarine
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you!

This helped me solve this on SLES-11.1 (64-bit) installing VMtools 8.3.18-975338

Previous VMtools-versions did not have this problem and installed without a hitch straight from vCenter-client :smileyconfused:

Ed

0 Kudos