VMware Cloud Community
Chris_2015
Contributor
Contributor

New install on HP dl380 gen9 - No storage devices!

First time using ESXi 6 have just installed onto HP dl380 gen9 server using the HP specific ISO image:

VMware-ESXi-6.0.0-2494585-HP-600.9.3.30.2-Jun2015.iso

Then installed the client tools on a local PC from this executable: VMware-viclient-all-6.0.0-2741530.exe

Client connects to server OK and I go to create a new VM but there are no storage devices listed.  There is only USB controller in there.

Am I supposed to create an entry manually or should the controller & disks be detected automatically?

When installing the ESXi I didn't notice any options for configuration  - so assumed this would be automatic?

Any hints gratefully appreciated but please appreciate I am totally new to VM world - so easy on the jargon.

thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
RichardBush
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

you need to create the RAID either at boot up, its an fX option at startup, or via the HP provisioning tool (CD or USB Boot).

Once that is setup the installer will see the disk.

Rich

0 Kudos
Chris_2015
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Rich,

thanks for the response.  yes we ran the HP provisioning.  Configured as Raid1 with two 600Gb disks.

Chris.

0 Kudos
RichardBush
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

‌sorry I miss read the first post.

you ll need to create the data store, from the client, select the host, configuration and then storage.

there is an option there to create a vmfs volume, go through the wizard. Does the disk show as available to create a new data store on ?

I Assume this is what you mean, as when you create a VM the wizard should so the a data store as the destination should one have been created.

Rich

0 Kudos
Chris_2015
Contributor
Contributor

I think we tried this - but it doesn't even show the disk!

Chris.

0 Kudos
RichardBush
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

‌ok,

do you know the raid controller the dl is using ? Could you check it against the VMware HCL. id assume it would be comparable and the drivers available In the Hp esx installer but best to check and confirm the drivers.

just thinking about this, is the esx installation on the raid mirror mentioned above ? Or have you installed to a usb device or another location ? As if it is installed to the same disks it would suggest that the controller is being detected correctly.

RIch

0 Kudos
Chris_2015
Contributor
Contributor

I'm pretty sure it was mentioned in the KB article which directed us to the HP specific installation ISO.  I'll check again tomorrow as we've had enough for today and have shut it down!

Chris.

0 Kudos
Chris_2015
Contributor
Contributor

... and yes we installed to disk - so agree that the controller must have been supported at that point!

I'm surprised there is so little diagnostic interface in the esxi itself - but certainly it boots up with no errors.

Chris.

0 Kudos
Chris_2015
Contributor
Contributor

... the compatability matrix I can find only mentions model and processor, not disk controller.  Certainly HP dl380 gen9 is listed here:

http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php

Have you a link to further data that lists disk controllers?

thanks

Chris.

0 Kudos
RichardBush
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Can you paste the outputs to the following commands. You ll need to enable SSH on the host and connect via SSH as root.

esxcli storage filesystem list

esxcli storage core adapter list

esxcfg-mpath -L

Also can you confirm from the client, select the host, configuration tab, then storage, Add Storage, then select disk / LUN... do you see available storage ?

0 Kudos
Chris_2015
Contributor
Contributor

Morning Rich,

Thanks for your continued help.

Following the 'add storage' route again I can confirm there is nothing listed for disk/LUN devices.

Our disk controller is P440ar which is specifically mentioned in knowledgebase article here: VMware KB: ESXi 6.0 GA ISO provided by VMware does not support HP P440ar RAID controllers

-  hence following link for HP specific ISO.

We noticed that the esxi 5.5 HP ISO is dated September 2015 (rather than July for 6.0) and thought we might try that.  However it doesn't seem to overwrite the existing 6.0 install.  On re-boot the text still remains 6.0 and the IP address is remembered so not convinced the re-install works at all. 

We also tried buildiing a custom iso as per the instructions - but same result.  Any idea how do we remove an esxi install to get a clean re-install?

Here is the output from those commands:

[root@localhost:~] esxcli storage filesystem list

Mount Point                                        Volume Name  UUID                                                                                                               Mounted  Type       Size       Free

-------------------------------------------------  -----------  ----------------                                                                              -------------------  -------  ----  ---------  ---------

/vmfs/volumes/089c24ee-1043a44f-c42e-a007421240aa               089c24ee-1043a44                                                                              f-c42e-a007421240aa     true  vfat  261853184  261844992

/vmfs/volumes/9c7d71e7-813b8de8-3ed9-1933e3790e3e               9c7d71e7-813b8de                                                                              8-3ed9-1933e3790e3e     true  vfat  261853184   93773824

/vmfs/volumes/5603f13b-82157510-b235-3ca82a13dc8c               5603f13b-8215751

0-b235-3ca82a13dc8c     true  vfat  299712512   83386368

[root@localhost:~] esxcli storage core adapter list

HBA Name  Driver       Link State  UID          Capabilities  Description

--------  -----------  ----------  -----------  ------------  -----------

vmhba33   usb-storage  link-n/a    usb.vmhba33                () USB

[root@localhost:~] esxcfg-mpath -L

vmhba33:C0:T0:L0 state:active mpx.vmhba33:C0:T0:L0 vmhba33 0 0 0 NMP active local usb.vmhba33 usb.0:0

vmhba33:C0:T0:L1 state:active mpx.vmhba33:C0:T0:L1 vmhba33 0 0 1 NMP active local usb.vmhba33 usb.0:0

0 Kudos
RichardBush
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Could you check the VIB thats installed

SSH into the box, type esxcli software vib list | grep hpsa (and past the output here)

Id be tempted to check the driver date as it looks like they need to be on 5.5.x drivers, and from the below the controller isnt being listed:

here is the info:

http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/detail.php?deviceCategory=io&productid=37447&vcl=true

and the driver link

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/details?downloadGroup=DT-ESXI55-HP-HPSA-55084-1OEM&productId=353

Id sugget copying it to a USB key then inserting that to the host and copy to the local disk, the USB should appear in /vmfs/volumes/NO NAME.

then run esxcli software vib install -d /path to file/

restart and see if that helps.

Rich

0 Kudos
Chris_2015
Contributor
Contributor

OK - looks like we are up and running!

We identified our driver version as 2.52 corresponding to 5.5.0.106.  However the default HP ISO has 5.5.0.74.

We followed instructions here VMware KB: ESXi 6.0 GA ISO provided by VMware does not support HP P440ar RAID controllers to create a modified ISO.

The re-install still failed (no errors but clearly had not been overwritten).

We then booted a windows cd as a means to delete the partitions - and there were quite a few before aborting the install.

Now we got a clean install on esxi again - and it can see the disks!

thanks for the help.

Chris.

0 Kudos
RichardBush
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

‌great news.

not sure why the re install wasn't working for you but at least it's up and running now.

RIch

0 Kudos