VMware Cloud Community
JohnFLi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

New host not talking to vLans

I am adding a new host to an existing cluster.

I added all the port groups to the new host, I used an existing host to ensure all the settings are the same (or at least I think so)

I add the new host to the cluster, no issue.

I vMotion back and forth using various hosts no issue.

The problem is, the VM's when on the new host, cannot talk to their respective vLans.

For example, I do a ping -t <vm-name>

THen i vmotion that machine to the new host......  the moment it finishes, the pings time out.....when I vmotion it back, the pings start responding again.

(our network people say they setup the Physical switch settings the same as the other hosts)

Any idea on what silly step I missed?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Is this for regular ESXi or ESXi on ARM? (where the post was created)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
JohnFLi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Regular ESXi.......   I couldn't find the group for regular esxi questions

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

As your post needs moving to the area for ESXi, I have reported  it to the volunteer moderators.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
maksym007
Expert
Expert

what are you using? vSS or vDS?

0 Kudos
tdoc210
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This definitely would be helpful to know. However it seems that either the uplink is missing the vlan, incorrect uplink chosen for port group, or the networking team  made a mistake.

By any chance is this a UCS-B system?