VMware Cloud Community
six4rm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Network Redundancy - HP c7000 - GbE2c Switches

Hi,

We've recently taken delivery of a c7000 BladeSystem Enclosure and I'm in the process of getting it up and running and integating it with our existing VMware vSphere environment.

At present all I have installed are the 2 OAs, 1 BL460c G7 blade and 2 GbE2c Layer 2/3 Ethernet Blade Switches in Interconnect Bay 1 & 2. I've connected Port 20 on each GbE2c switch into our existing network each one to a seperate Cisco switch.

I've installed ESX 4.1 U2 on the blade local HDD and this is up and running. I'm able to see the two NICs within vSphere, however I'm having a few issues with redundancy.

I kept losing ping to one of the Blade Switches (Switch1), however pings to the ESX host were still successful. I had to reset the switch from the OA to regain management and connectivity and in doing so I lose connectivity to the ESX host whilst the switch is reloading. What I would expect to happen is for traffic to route via Switch2. I've also tested this by disabling Port 1 on Switch1, and again I lost connectivity to the host completely.

If I disable Port 1 on Switch2 I remain connected to the host and the disabled port is reflected within vSphere by a red cross against vmnic1.

The switches are pretty much default configuration with no VLANs in play.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
0 Replies