VMware Cloud Community
hypercat
Contributor
Contributor

NIC Teaming and Link Aggregation

I'm in the process of configuring an ESXi 4.0 server for NIC teaming and want to connect it to a 3COM 2924 SFP Plus switch using static link aggregation. The NIC teaming part of the equation seems to work fine. I set up the NIC teaming on the ESXi server and it appears to be functioning. However, as soon as I connect it to the aggregated ports on my 3COM switch, I lose the connection to the server. So, something is not configured properly. I have the NIC teaming properties set up to use the "Route based on IP hash" method of load distribution, which as far as I can tell is the basic requirement for using static link aggregation on the physical switch. However, as I said, there's got to be something I'm missing. Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
hypercat
Contributor
Contributor

I am resolving my own problem here. After much searching, I finally found a post that explained more fully how this needs to be set up. In my case, the problem was that I failed to disable the PortFast setting for the aggregated ports on the router.

0 Kudos