VMware Cloud Community
jwagdy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Moving a VM from ESXi 3.5 to ESXi 4.1

Hi,

We have an old HP server running ESXi 3.5 Build 64607 which hold a 9 VMs. We recently installed ESXi 4.1 Build 260247on a new much powerful HP server.

We need to move a couple of VMs from ESXi 3.5 server to the new ESXi 4.1 server. I have done some searching, and I understand this can be done through

either Copying files, or by using VM Converter

My question, has anyone preformed this before? What should I watch for to make sure the move goes smoothly?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
febsa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Why don't you try it? the wizard is very intuitive and easy.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It's a pretty straight forward process especially if you're using Converter.  After the upgrade you'll want to update VMware Tools and you can upgrade the virtual hardware version to take advantage of new features in vSphere 4.1.

febsa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

If you don't work with vcenter and your ESXi hosts don't share the same storage (NAS, for example). You can stop your VMs and clone them using VM converter from your Computer.

Regards

jwagdy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I don't share storage and I haven't use Converter before. The VMs use  multiple virtual disks. Does Converter also copy/clone  all virtual  disks? and how complicated the process is? it is a straight  forward  process using the wizard, or do i need to do something manually (other   than shutting down the VMs)?

Thank you

0 Kudos
febsa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Why don't you try it? the wizard is very intuitive and easy.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The wizard takes you through the process.  You can resize disks / select where you want them during the wizard, but you can also choose the default options for pretty much a next, next, next process. The source VM is left should there be any issues with the migrated copy.  What sort of VM are you migrating?  If you had a number of them, you could also stage up an eval of vCenter and migrate them with it.

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

JWagdy

there is no need to use VMware converter.

if both ESX hosts are connected to the same virtual center, you can simply shut down the VMs, then right click them and select 'migrate' from here you can simply chose to migrate both Storage and Host (follow the wizard) an dVMware will take care orf moving the files as well as the VM registration etc.

If you have no vCenter and no shared storage, your alternative is to just shut the VMs down, then copy the files for the VMs to the new storage and then import them on the nbew host.

To do this, follow the details at :

http://www.get-virtual.info/2011/01/20/essential-tools-fastscp/

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
jwagdy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

bulletprooffo,

That Veeam FastSCP software looks intersting. I suppose I still have to shutdown the VMs, right?

Thanks

0 Kudos
RaZaKKaZaR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, the VM still needs to be shutdown first.

VCAP5-DCD,DCA * http://www.vmtrooper.com * If any of my responses have been helpful in any way, please rate accordingly. Thank you and Happy VM'ing! 😄
0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Unfortunately, yes - it is simply a file copy tool.

As stated before though, if you can add both ESX hosts to the same VC - and their hardware is compatible, you could do a storage / host migrate (LIVE)

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos