VMware Cloud Community
Zdeno
Contributor
Contributor

Migration from vmfs5 to 6 - boot issues

Hello,

I would like to ask you if anyone else had similar issues with Ubuntu VM after migration to vmfs6.

Freshly installed machine works pretty well, however old machines migrated with Storage vMotion does not boot up - there is a invalid arch-independent ELF magic error. They run well until you will try reboot them.

I have tried find any related information to this issue however I am totally lost because I am unable to chroot to mnt - error end with segmentation fault. It almost looks like the disk is corrupted however when I restore the backup via Nakivo on vmfs5 storage, there is no issue. Do you have any idea, or hints how to solve this issue? 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
maksym007
Expert
Expert

Do you receive any errors during startup? 

0 Kudos
BarryGrowler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Facing boot issues like the "invalid arch-independent ELF magic" error after migrating Ubuntu VMs from VMFS5 to VMFS6 can be perplexing. This problem often stems from disrupted boot loader configurations or compromised file system integrity. Addressing it involves scrutinizing and correcting the boot loader settings and conducting a thorough file system check to ensure everything is in order. For administrators seeking to understand the nuances of VMFS versions and their impact on migrations, a visit to this article - VMFS5 vs. VMFS6 provides crucial insights into making informed decisions for a more resilient virtual infrastructure.

0 Kudos
bbalido9
Contributor
Contributor

if you can repro the issue then, try to disable xcopy on the host and then retry to perform storage vmotion of the ubuntu vm and provide feedback.

The reported issue points to an underlying storage corruption on vm disk post storage migration.

there are multiple factors and variable that could be involved. 

PS: please clarify if both VMFS5 & VMFS6 datastore are they from the same storage array/backend device or not. 

Also have you tried cloning the vm from VMFS5 to VMFS6 as a troubleshooting step - test wise?

since multiple vms are affected then it would be best to open case with GSS to work on this as this will require input from both storage vendor and VM Guest OS vendor. 

0 Kudos