VMware Cloud Community
fallentree
Contributor
Contributor

Microsoft iscsi 3.3 and Esxi5

Hi,

I've trying to connect my Esxi5 to a iscsi 3.3 target , it connects fine, but when reading/writing from it  Microsoft iscsi target is complaining about "protocol error' and esxi5 host just hangs.

With Esxi4.0 it all works prefectly, does anyone know why?

Cheers.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander

Hi,

did you upgrade from a previous version or is it a fresh install of esxi5?

Frank

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
fallentree
Contributor
Contributor

I tried both, they both didn't work. I also tried to create a new target and new storage than only one host is talking to it, but still, it fails with complain about iscsi protocol error.

0 Kudos
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander

ok,

i have the same issue while upgrade from 4.1 to 5. I have two iscsi 3.3 targets on two different Server. Only one Server show that issue.

After a fresh install of esxi5 the problem is gone.

But i only upgrade one host. I will check this out when i am possible to upgrade my other host in my testlab.

Frank

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander

i´ve updated my next test host with the same issue.

One iSCSI share was fast, the other slow.

After a fresh install, everythink was fine. We are using the hp image of vmware.

Maybe there is a problem while updating the hp version of esxi4.1 to 5.

I am still testing....

0 Kudos
boomam
Contributor
Contributor

I have this exact problem too!

Been searching high and low for fixes, trying everything from MPIO on, MPIO off, failover policies, etc;

System was a VMWare (ESXi Download) of 4.1, upgraded to 5.0.

Everything works apart from this iSCSI issue.

Im hoping theres an actual fix as doing a fresh install of each host isnt really an option...

Thanks.

0 Kudos
fallentree
Contributor
Contributor

Even a fresh install of esxi5 still fails for me, I'm using stock image.

0 Kudos
xeno314
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same problem with multiple iSCSI target systems.  Have tried OpenFiler, Microsoft iSCSI Target, and NexentaStor with no luck.  MS iSCSI target produces exactly the same symptoms as above (protocol error on Win2K8 R2 server, a litany of errors in the vmkernel.log on the ESXi host).  Unfortunate because we're just getting our shared storage architecture set up and it seems nothing has been working.  Anyone with a fix, I'm all ears.

0 Kudos
fallentree
Contributor
Contributor

I'm changed my storage to starwind, they have a free license as well.  Other than that, you can use latest RC build for freenas, they've fixed the compatibility problem.

but, vmware, please fix the protocol error!

0 Kudos
milson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same problem here with the MS iSCSI target.

0 Kudos
PCookman
Contributor
Contributor

I am currently out of the Office and will be back on Monday . If you need me I can be contacted on 07957 168744.

In my absence please contact David.Cookson@selection.co.uk<mailto:David.Cookson@selection.co.uk> or Alan.Tung@selection.co.uk

Regards, Paul..

--

This message has been scanned for viruses and

dangerous content by MailScanner,

and is believed to be clean.

0 Kudos
Rivilis
Contributor
Contributor

Spoke to Vmware Production Support yesterday about this issue.  According to them, they are not compatible with Microsoft iSCSI, and never were.  When I told them that Microsoft iSCSI 3.3 works fine with ESXi 4, I was told that Microsoft iSCSI is not certified to work with ESXi 4 or 5, and if it works with 4, it's still not a supported iSCSI target.

In other words, they told me that i am SOL.

I also questioned them what software targets they DO support.  I was told that ESXi 4 supported starwind, but 5 does not.

Best of luck...

0 Kudos
milson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not a surprising response from VMware support, and I don't really have any expectation of it being a supported configuration (it'd be nice, but even MS doesn't 'support' their target when it's not in a prebuilt WSS solution).  However, considering other targets (e.g. FreeNAS) were broken with ESXi 5 and fixed via new releases on the target side, it'd be swell to see Microsoft update their standalone version.

For kicks, I hope to test the first-class/built in target in Windows Server 8 dev preview soon, on the chance it's a different version...

0 Kudos
milson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Confirmed - the iSCSI target in Windows Server 8 Developer Preview works just fine with ESXi 5, without all the errors I was seeing w/ version 3.3/Server 2008 R2.  I was able attach with (initiator-side) multipath, deploy and run a VM, and I've spot checked a few basic features like volume extend+VMFS grow and vMotion with no problems so far.

0 Kudos