VMware Cloud Community
navaneedak
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Maximum clusters per data center

We are having vsphere 4.1 and virtual center. We need to know the following.

1. What is the maximum number of esx clusters we can create in one Datacenter ??

2. Is it possible to do vmotion between the cluster ??

3. Will there be any limitation in creating clusters ??

4. We have 2 clusters and each cluster has 3 ESX hosts. We have one blade kept as a sapre blade. Is it possible to share one spare blade  between 3 ESX clusters ??

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Assume we have 3 Clusters and each cluster has 2 esx hosts inside. We  have one esx host kept as standby. Can we use this standby host across  three clusters for DRS. Ex.Incase one of the ESX host fails in any of  the cluster, will the standby esx server can share the load  ???

You cannot use this standby host to "share the load" of a cluster. However, if hardware fails, yes, you can move this standy host into a cluster.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Maximenu
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hello navaneedak

Here you have the maximums and minimums for vSphere...take a look.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r41/vsp_41_config_max.pdf

Javier Galvez

Customer Success Compute and Cloud

Joined the VMTN Community in Dic, 2004

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
navaneedak
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HI,

I already saw the file and i dont find any information related to my question.

1. What is the maximum number of esx clusters we can create in one Datacenter ??

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

1. Well, since it's not mentioned in the document I'say there is no such maximum. You should at least be able to create the amount of clusters so you can get the maximum of 400 hosts per datacenter in there, which would be 13 clusters.

2. vMotion is possible between clusters.

3. what limitations do you mean?

Regards

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I would not worry about maximums on your clusters, there are a lot of other things to take in consideration, the most important is IOPS and disk latency.  I doubt you'll get close to an allowed maximum clusters per.

Yes, assuming all hosts meet the vMotion requirements (Most importantly, they all see the same shared storage)

Can you provide more information about this question?

4. We have 2 clusters and each cluster has 3 ESX hosts. We have one  blade kept as a sapre blade. Is it possible to share one spare blade   between 3 ESX clusters ??

no.. A host can only be part of one vCenter, one DataCenter and one Cluster. However, you can present the storage from your other hosts to the standalone host.

0 Kudos
navaneedak
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HI,

Assume we have 3 Clusters and each cluster has 2 esx hosts inside. We have one esx host kept as standby. Can we use this standby host across three clusters for DRS. Ex.Incase one of the ESX host fails in any of the cluster, will the standby esx server can share the load  ???

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Assume we have 3 Clusters and each cluster has 2 esx hosts inside. We  have one esx host kept as standby. Can we use this standby host across  three clusters for DRS. Ex.Incase one of the ESX host fails in any of  the cluster, will the standby esx server can share the load  ???

You cannot use this standby host to "share the load" of a cluster. However, if hardware fails, yes, you can move this standy host into a cluster.

0 Kudos