VMware Cloud Community
wings7351
Contributor
Contributor

Intermittent Server Crash

I am new to this and I hope someone can give me a direction on where to look. I have upgraded from ESXi 5.1 to 5.5 on GA-990FX-UD5 with AMD FX 8320. The server intermittently crash. When it crash, there is no purple screen though. The screen displays normal, it doesn't respond to any of my keyboard input; I am not able to connect to it, or any one of my VMs. The only way to get the server back on line would be to have a hard reset.

Can anyone give me a suggestion on where to go from here? Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DavoudTeimouri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you can take a shot from the error or you have to check your ESXi logs and find that.

Because it's needed for troubleshooting.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Davoud Teimouri - https://www.teimouri.net - Twitter: @davoud_teimouri Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/teimouri.net/
0 Kudos
wings7351
Contributor
Contributor

I just exported the server logs via VSphere Client, any particular log would be the first to look at? Thanks.

0 Kudos
JarryG
Expert
Expert

I'm affraid if server crashes without PSOD, it did not have time to react to non-standard conditions. You might not find anything in logs. This seems to me more like some serious HW-problem. I would start by crash-testing hardware with live-cd/dvd (i.e. memtest86 for a few hours, super-pi benchmark for cpu, drive-tests, etc).

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉
0 Kudos
wings7351
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you. I will do that test over the weekend and report back.

0 Kudos
BenLiebowitz
Expert
Expert

If you have support from VMware on the server, you can take the log export and send it to VMware for analysis. 

Ben Liebowitz, VCP vExpert 2015, 2016, & 2017 If you found my post helpful, please mark it as helpful or answered to award points.
0 Kudos
wings7351
Contributor
Contributor

Did a bit testing over the weekend. Ran memtest no issue. Change the system back to 5.1U1, so far no issue.

I had a DG45CB with Q9400 ran for a few years with 5.1 without issue. During my system upgrade this weekend, ran 5.5 with lots of instability issues, went back to 5.1U1, issues gone.

This puzzles me, 5.5 is less "hardware friendly" than 5.1?

0 Kudos