VMware Cloud Community
sweehan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Identify the raw hard drive on the Virtual machine and expand the size of raw device mapping drive

I've recently given a task to expand the a drive of the virtual machine that is raw device mapped. The drive is a DAG mailbox of exchange server. Both the exchange mailbox server have 7 raw mapped lun and all are in virtual compatibility mode.

I've read that for virtual compatibility mode needs to power down the virtual machines and remove the LUN. After expand the LUN size on the storage part, add the LUN back to the virtual machines and refresh the host, finally power on the virtual machines.

How I'm able to identify which raw device LUN is the LUN that need to be expanded? Can the LUN be expanded without powering down the virtual machines and remove and re-add the raw device LUN?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
linotelera
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi

have you seen here: VMware KB: Identifying Raw Device Mappings (RDMs) using the vSphere Client

For resizing I have found this :http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100702...

According to knoledge base you should shutdown your VM, because RDM must remove and re-added after rescan.

Regards

Lino

0 Kudos