VMware Cloud Community
Zade
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How to edit vpxa.cfg for ESXi 5

Hi Guys,

I'm doing a test run on a migration of vCenter, I have managed to move the DSN and the VIM database fine, vCenter is installed and has picked up the ESXi hosts, I cannot see my virtual machines though. I believe that my ESXi's may still be pointing to the old vCenter IP address.

I've downloaded Putty and have access the ESXi via the root user, I want to check the IP address of the host that the ESXi's are pointing to at etc/vmware/vpxa/vpxa.cfg but when i type this into putty I get the error "Permission denied"

Can anyone assist?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jvdp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You need to connect with the client to the ESXi host directly and log in with the root credentials, not to the vCenter instance. 😉

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
tomtom901
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Did you post a command for it? In example: cat /etc/vmware/vpxa/vpxa.cfg

0 Kudos
vlho
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi Zade,

you use rather this tools: http://winscp.net

Switch on protocol SSH, connect, find file vpxa.cf, then F4...

0 Kudos
tomtom901
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Not every company has WinSCP, PuTTY is the most used tool so some basic skills with PuTTY / Linux are never a stupid idea. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
vlho
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi Tomtom,

yes but if Zade has no knowledge about Linux (especially with vi or nano editor) he will have big problem.

0 Kudos
Jvdp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Why do you want to do it that way? Just connect to the ESXi host directly with the vSphere Client. If the host is managed by a vCenter instance, you will immediately be shown a popup. And on the 'Summary' tab, at the bottom, you will see a box called 'Host Management', showing that the host is currently be managed by vCenter with IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, so that makes it easy:

host_Management.png

You can even disassociate the host from the vCenter if needed.

0 Kudos
Zade
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you everyone for the advice, I have logged into my vsphere client,

• Expanded My datacenter
  • Expanded My Cluster
  • Selected my ESXi host, clicked on the summary tab, but I cannot see a host management section

If possible could you provide me with step by step instructions on locating this in vsphere?

0 Kudos
Jvdp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You need to connect with the client to the ESXi host directly and log in with the root credentials, not to the vCenter instance. 😉

0 Kudos
Zade
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Got it, thanks everyone!

All setup

0 Kudos