VMware Cloud Community
Manieie
Contributor
Contributor

How to do BIOS upgrade for ESX 4.0/ESXi5.0

Hi All,

I have around 120 ESX 4.0 and 60 ESXi 5.0 servers in my environment.

Currently there is plan to upgrade them to ESXi5.1. I am new to this upgrade activity.

From compatibility, the BIOS and the firmware version of these servers needs to be updated.

The servers are DELL and HP models.

from Dell and HP, I can find the BIOS download for linux version but not for ESX/ESXi version. Are there any separate package for ESX/Esxi servers?

can anyone provide us how we can upgrade the BIOS version of these servers?. The easiest way to upgrade them?

Thanks,

Mani.S

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

really, Comic Sans font? My poor eyes Smiley Wink

For Dell servers you can create a little bootable linux iso with the BIOS update tools implemented, that you can boot via iDRAC or USB or whatever you like and do the update. Check Bob Plankers blogst post for a detailed how to: http://lonesysadmin.net/2011/03/07/the-easiest-way-to-update-a-dell-servers-firmware/

I don't have HP servers but I guess there should be a similar way to do it.

Regards

Tim

0 Kudos
TBKing
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

HP has SPP - Support Pack for Proliant.

Boot from the CD or ISO for Firmware/Bios updates

It will even do Blade Center components

It will even do several systems at once if you want.

0 Kudos
mikejroberts
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I use the Dell vCenter Management Plugin and it works great.  As the name suggests, it integrates into vCenter.  You create your own update bundle with Dell Repository Manager (or use the Dell bundles which may or may not be completely up to date) and the plugin will allow you to remediate your hosts in much the same fashion as VUM.  It is not free, but it is not too expensive.  It adds some nice features for Dell servers and makes firmware updates easy.  It requiresthe iDRAC to be configured and reachable and it works with the free iDRAC express or full iDRAC cards.

0 Kudos
kubilayadmin
Contributor
Contributor

It's an old thread but you can also see the updated version of the Dell Repository Manager to create a bootable ISO with all the latest drivers. Check this post out;

IT Professional Technical Resources & Library: UPDATING DELL SERVERS

0 Kudos
mark_l_zhang
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Mani,

I found the easy way. It works fine in my iDRAC7 blade, M1000e. But I am not sure about the HP and iDRAC6.

Login to your CMC, and in the server overview page, click update.

Then it will be redirect to the update page. Click the BIOS update, and in the bottom, you need find the BIOS update package.

The package can be found in DELL website, the format is a exe file. The exe running with windows 32bit is OK.

Then update, reboot now or next reboot.

The bios will be updated throught the life cycle.

0 Kudos
arein77
Contributor
Contributor

If anyone is still interested in this here is how its done. VERY Simple:

Insert a USB stick and make sure you can view it in your Windows (7,8,etc) Vmware environment; then download a program call Rufus.(https://rufus.akeo.ie/)  It's like 800kb and installs in about 2 seconds. Follow the menu selecting your USB stick. Then copy the EXE file from Dell or whatever computer you are flashing the Bios on to the USB  stick (use windows explorer or whatever). Reboot the computer and get into the bios and make sure the USB drive boots first. Exit the bios, the usb stick should boot, then  you are in DOS so do a DIR and CD to whereever you stuck the EXE file then just type out the EXE file and press enter and it will install it. Follow the instructions.

0 Kudos