VMware Cloud Community
hack3rcon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to clone the network settings?

Hello,

I have an ESXi 6.7 host which hosts a number of virtual machines. This host uses a special networking scheme, and I want to transfer all the machines of this host to another host. What is the easiest way to implement the networking of the old host on the new host?

Thank you.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
hadjer1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

You can use Host Profiles

Please, check this link for more details about host profiles : https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.7/com.vmware.vsphere.hostprofiles.doc/GUID-0E5BF330-A765...

Regards.

KODU if you find my answer useful or mark as solution if it solves your problem.

hack3rcon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

Thank you so much for your reply.

I will read more about it. I just want to know that does Host Profiles include all the settings of a host? For example, network settings, virtual machines, etc.

Do I need to import the Host Profiles in the new host?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Manually, using a Host Profile, or with something like a PowerCLI script.

You don’t say if the hosts are managed by a vCenter Server, that makes a difference to the approach.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
hadjer1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

First of all, as @scott28tt said, your ESXI hosts need to be joined to vCenter.

The host profiles allows you to clone the configuration form a host to other hosts, it includes the following settings :

hadjer1_0-1689059627222.png

I think the section that matter for you the most are network and security.

First, you need to extract the host profile from the source ESXI, then configure the necessary parameters in the extracted host profile, after that you attache it to the new ESXI.

You can check on youtube, there are many tutorials on how to use host profiles.

hack3rcon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

Yes. It is managed by the vCenter Server. Both of the old and new host is managed by the vCenter Server.

0 Kudos
hack3rcon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

By necessary parameters do you mean things like new network settings and etc.?

0 Kudos
hadjer1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

When you extract the host profile you can edit it before applying it to the new host, check the screenshot below:

hadjer1_0-1689061405673.png

In this example, I deselected the advanced configuration settings, which means these settings will not be included in the host profile, and I kept general system settings and network configuration, and then you can browse each section and check the parameters that are going to be applied and may be modify some settings.

hack3rcon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

should the hardware specifications of the

new server be the same as the previous

server?

0 Kudos
hadjer1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

It is not necessary. However, you need to check the extracted service profile and make the adequate modifications. anyway before applying the service profile to the new server the compliance will be checked.

you can check this video on youtube, it shows a good example : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TNxTLbthG8

0 Kudos