VMware Cloud Community
sdeka
Contributor
Contributor

How to boot Grub from second hard disk (secondary master or primary slave)?

I am running Vsphere/ESX 4.1. The requirement for my VM is to be able to contain Grub and the OS image on the second hard disk.

The first (primary master) hard disk is a pure data storage device. When I try to make this configuration work, the VM does not boot. The BIOS does not even try the second disk and proceeds to try PXE boot using the network devices which appear lower down in the boot order.

I have tried attaching the second disk as a primary slave as well as a secondary master. None of these worked. The BIOS boots only from the primary master.

However, changing the boot order in the BIOS settings fixes the problem. If the second disk appears before the first disk, the VM boots up fine.

But, the problem is, I need to export and share this VM image as an OVA/OVF package. I have not found a means of exporting BIOS settings using a OVF package.

Is there a way to achieve what I am looking for? Basically, be able to host GRUB and the OS on the second disk and be able to distribute this VM image in OVF form.

0 Kudos
0 Replies