VMware Cloud Community
gruebel
Contributor
Contributor

How to access esxi partition

1. We have created vm-support files using the tech support mode on a esxi 4.1 machine. These got saved in /var/tmp/esx-....... We now would like to access those files in order to send them to our support collegues. But we are not sure how to access them and copy to an for example existing and running windows machine.
  2. Second, we created log files using vSphere client, "files" -> "export" -> "export system protocols".

Are these the identical files as created under 1.? Then the answer would be solved. Apart from that we would like to know how to acces the a.m. files.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

You can use the tech support console. From the Yellow DCUI screen select the Troubleshooting Options and enable the TS console. ALT + F1 will give you a log in prompt. You can copy the files to a datastore (/vmfs/volumes/datastore ) and then download them through the vSphere Client. You can use a tool like SCP or WinSCP or Veeam fastSCP to copy the files.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

To access the log files, just download WinSCP (or similar) and connect direct to your ESX host - you will need to have SSH enabled of course and logon as root with your root password, but you'll be able to copy and poaste Windows style.

good luck.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

d'oh - he beat me to it.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
gruebel
Contributor
Contributor

Yep - that's it. Thanks guys!