VMware Cloud Community
CathayKat
Contributor
Contributor

Host is connected, vm is not

This is the 2nd host on which I've observed this behaviour and it has me totally stumped.  I have an IBMx3650 host running ESXi 4 with 2 dual port Broadcom II nics. I can connect with no problem to the host but cannot get connectivity to the VM which is on the same subnet as the host.  I had inititally setup two vswitches; one for management the other for vm's but then moved the vm to the same vswitch as the host (after adding vm network).  The VM is configured with at static IP but when I execute an ipconfig the IP displayed is the self-assigned private IP from Microsoft.  This is the only VM on the host at this point.

Although this is my first exposure to ESXi I do manage 8 ESX 4.1 hosts running 200+ VM's on vNetwork Distributed Switches so I've got the networking concepts.  I'm just wondering if it's something peculiar to ESXi?  I've queried the nics from the host console and they are all connected and everything looks good.  All the hardware is on the HCL (in fact it's identical to 3 hosts I have running ESX 4.1 with the same nics).  Like I said; I'm stumped.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

The VM is configured with at static IP but when I execute an ipconfig  the IP displayed is the self-assigned private IP from Microsoft.

IMO this is an issue with the guest OS rather than ESXi. Either you have a static IP (in the GUI and with ipconfig) or you don't.

If setting the IP address does not work, remove the NIC in the Windows device manager and let Windows re-discover the hardware.

André

0 Kudos