VMware Cloud Community
Manneau
Contributor
Contributor

Highpoint Rocketraid & Multiple Arrays

Hello!

I have configured some old hardware for re-use. It's old but still rock solid and nice for storage virtualization. (2x Openfiler)

The problem is that there is no access to pci passthrough so I have to raw map the device.

VMFS limits me to 2TB Files so I have to configure multiple arrays

Config:

Tyan K8S Pro Thunder

2x AMD Opteron 242

2GB ECC DDR-400

(I know the driver is not supported for this card but the driver base is the same (R3XXX/R4XXX) and it's working for 1 array)

1x Highpoint Rocketraid 3220 PCI-X                 

-- 6x 2TB Disks [Selected]

-- #1 RAID 1/0 1500G

-- #2 RAID 1/0 1500G

-- #3 RAID 1/0 1500G

-- #4 RAID 1/0 1500G

1x SIL3114 (VMware system disk)

-- 1x 1TB Disk [VMware ESXi 4.1]

The problem is that VMware only sees 1 Array

I have tried to manually create path files but this is getting to confusing for me as there is a generic scsi device file and 1 physical disk file copying symlinks for the paths isn't really working. So I think I am doing something wrong 🙂

See Attached JPEGS for more information.

Hope someone is able to help! Really want to use VMware.

Last resort is XenServer for linux kernel based pci passthrough but I don't like XenServer :-).

Thanks in advance.

Menno

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TGLeviathan
Contributor
Contributor

Highpoint makes software based raid cards and VMware has some issues with that. I used a 2720SGL in ESX4 and that worked ok, when using it with ESXi 5 id did not work anymore. It saw my disks but only as individual disks not as RAID set.

You may want to look for a hardware based RAID controller like Adaptec but bare in mind that they are allot more expensive than most software RAID controllers.

If it doesn't work hit it, if it still doesn't work hit it harder, if after that it starts smoking you bought the wrong thing. If you bought VMware at first you'd be having a beer now!
0 Kudos
EnricoD
Contributor
Contributor

Hi TGL Leviathan,

First of all sorry for my bad english 😃

Can I make you a question?

How did you install the 2720 installed in your machine (4.0 I have read)?
I'm trying to install the 2710 on a 4.0U1 (same driver for 2720 and 2710 declared as compatible on the manufacturer's website) but I can not view the raid card.

Trying to install the drivers as I get told that the card is not compatible.

Your card was seen immediately after installation or you had to install the drivers?

Thanks for your help

Enrico
0 Kudos