ESXi

View Only
  • 1.  HPE custom image

Posted Aug 05, 2023 12:05 PM

Hello gents, 

Hope you guys are well.

I have a question... There is a critical patch for vcenter available that needs to be installed which also includes the esxi hosts to make it compatible.. the esxi host in my infra contains a HPE custom image (add-on) 7.0.3 from last year 2022. 

I looked on the HPE website and i see there is a new custome image available from april 2023. Now comes my question, do i need to install that custome image as well? I am kinda new to this. 

I also read the documentation of HPE and there are some new features in the custome image. 

My esxi also supports it according to the HPE matrix.

• 2.  RE: HPE custom image
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 05, 2023 12:42 PM

If you are already using a custom image, it's recommended to upgrade the esxi using the custom image only. It will preserve the additional vibs/drivers added by hpe.

Regards,

Sachchidanand  

• 3.  RE: HPE custom image

Posted Aug 05, 2023 01:26 PM

Thank you 

• 4.  RE: HPE custom image
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 05, 2023 12:45 PM

The vendor add-ons contain drivers that may be required for the hardware, but not included in the default VMware image.
    So yes, use the vendor customized version.

If you ave vCenter Server in place, and assuming that you have more than a single host, you can update/upgrade ESXi using the single image based update method per cluster, which allows you to select a VMware version, a vendor add-on, as well as individual components, which are then combined, and installed on the ESXi hosts.

André

• 5.  RE: HPE custom image

Posted Aug 05, 2023 01:32 PM

Thank you.

I created a baseline with the esxi patch including the Custom image iso. And remediate it on one esxi host.. so far so good.