VMware Cloud Community
SSO_Root
Contributor
Contributor

HDD Capacity Calculator

Hi All,

I have a few questions.

1. I have a stand alone ESXi Host running 7U3. It has only 1 datastore that is running RAID 1.
    ESX is installed on this and it s the datastore.
    VMWare is showing only 1.6TB free of a 1.9TB drive.  I understand ESXi will use 35GB.
    How do I calculate what I should be left with?  Just wanting to understand if there is an issue.

What is the minimum capacity remaining on a datastore before the machine becomes unresponsive?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
BivasM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

basically the amount you see as free is what you can use on that datastore. since capacity is an issue you can provision vm's with thick provisioning so that they do not fight with each other. but since you have a single datastore keep in mind that you can not later convert them online (since that storage vmotion requires a different datastore to be available)

0 Kudos
Tinto1970
Commander
Commander

If I understand well, you have two 1.9TB drives in RAID1 configuration, and the datastore free space is "only" 1.6TB?

If so, I think it's normal because the 1.9 size is "unformatted": the really usable size of the HDD is less than the "raw" amount which is written on the HDD's box 😉

--
Alessandro aka Tinto VCP-DCV 2023 | VVSPHT 2023 | VMCE 2024 | vExpert 2024 | Veeam Legend
please give me a "Kudo" if you find my answer useful
www.linkedin.com/in/tinivelli
my blog: https://blog.tinivelli.com
0 Kudos