VMware Cloud Community
eduardoalbuquer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Failed to create new virtual switch message when I try to create a new vSwitch

My company have an ESXi 6.5.0 Update 2 (Build 8294253) running on a lenovo customized image of an ESXi6.5u2 Vmkernel Release Build 8294253.

We are trying to create a new virtual switch and a new port group to this vswitch, but we have problems to do it. The ESXi shows an error message: Failed to create new virtual switch vSwitch1.

There is not other virtual switch with the same name on this server. There is a free network adapter linked to a separeted subnet. We need to install some virtual servers to this subnet.

Any idea to help me?

Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HassanAlKak88
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hello,

Try to use ESXCLI through SSH as below:

List all standard switches:     esxcli network vswitch standard list

Create standard switch:    esxcli network vswitch standard add -v vSwitch1

Create a new Portgroup “testpg” in vSwitch1:     esxcli network vswitch standard portgroup add -p “testpg” -v vSwitch1

Assign an uplink “vmnic4” to Virtual Swtich2:    esxcli network vswitch standard uplink add -u vmnic4 -v vSwitch1

If my reply was helpful, I kindly ask you to like it and mark it as a solution

Regards,
Hassan Alkak

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Deso1ator
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Try creating the switch with no physical adapters at first. See if that makes a difference. Can add the physical adapter later on.

0 Kudos
HassanAlKak88
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hello,

Try to use ESXCLI through SSH as below:

List all standard switches:     esxcli network vswitch standard list

Create standard switch:    esxcli network vswitch standard add -v vSwitch1

Create a new Portgroup “testpg” in vSwitch1:     esxcli network vswitch standard portgroup add -p “testpg” -v vSwitch1

Assign an uplink “vmnic4” to Virtual Swtich2:    esxcli network vswitch standard uplink add -u vmnic4 -v vSwitch1

If my reply was helpful, I kindly ask you to like it and mark it as a solution

Regards,
Hassan Alkak
Deso1ator
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Check permissions if you are not already logging in with administrator level access.

0 Kudos
kjdfhaueiase
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the solution.

I think honestly it's pathetic that we have to do this. When the cloud is looming and on-prem data centers are going to soon be a thing of the past, why create this abysmal user experience where you can only do things from the CLI?

0 Kudos