VMware Cloud Community
dufour
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Esxi cannot install latest version of vmware tools on sbs 2011 VM

Hi, I have a situation where I could not install the vmware tools on my sbs 2011 when it got migrated from hyperv to esxi 6 environment. Doing some research, there is a bug so I had to install a lower version of the tools to make this work. I don't have this problem on my other VMs because they are win2k12. My problem is explained perfectly here;

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=211447...

Now here is the problem; I cannot apply any of the solutions because;

- solution1 says to install update 1 of esxi6, but I cannot install it because it is a HP gen9, Esxi was installed with the HP cd. If you read the update 1 notes, it says not to install it on those servers.

- Next solution is to create a local group named "everyone", but this server is a domain controller, so there is no local group, cannot create it.

I need to update the vmtools because my backup software does not work on this VM because of the vmtools version (if I remember well I installed the 5.5 version of the vmtools)

Any ideas on how I can resolve this issue?

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
douglasarcidino
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I have used the HP custom ISOs for 6.0 through 6.0U1b on G9 gear with no issues at all. As long as you continue to use the HPE custom ISO, everything should be fine.

If you found this reply helpful, please mark as answer VCP-DCV 4/5/6 VCP-DTM 5/6
0 Kudos
dufour
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, thanks for your response. I will definitely check this out. Did not think to look for the Esxi update from HP.

Regards

0 Kudos
douglasarcidino
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you go into your myvmware account and select vsphere 6, esxi download, there is a custom ISO tab. That's where vmware stores all of the OEM customized ISO disks. Except for Dell oddly enough. You still have to hunt through Dell's driver website to find custom ESXi ISO media.

If you found this reply helpful, please mark as answer VCP-DCV 4/5/6 VCP-DTM 5/6
0 Kudos
dufour
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just got the .iso from HP with the update in it. I just put the cd in and should get the "upgrade" option. I am testing it soon on another server. If all goes well, I should do it on the prod server next weekend. I should be able to update the vmtools to 6 on my sbs 2011 server after without a problem.

I will post back whenever I get news.

Thanks

0 Kudos