VMware Cloud Community
Webio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Error parsing the server "SERVER IP" "clients.xml" file ...

Hello,

any idea why I'm getting this errors:

Error parsing the server "SERVER IP" "clients.xml" file. Login will continue, contact your system administrator.

and after pressing OK buttom I'm getting another error:

The type initializer for "VirtualInfrastructure.Utils.HttpWebRequestProxy" threw an exception

when I try to connect to ESXi 4.0 with vSphere client?

My clients.xml file contents (https://SERVER IP/client/clients.xml):

<ConfigRoot> \\ <clientConnection id="0000"> \\ <authdPort>902</authdPort> \\ <version>4</version> \\ <exactVersion>4.0.0</exactVersion> \\ <patchVersion>1.0.0</patchVersion> \\ <apiVersion>4.0</apiVersion> \\ <downloadUrl>https://*/client/VMware-viclient.exe</downloadUrl> \\ </clientConnection> \\ </ConfigRoot> \\

Thanks

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nsabinske
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'd wager you're running Windows 7. The client is currently broken on 7 and the compatibility modes won't help. The frustrating bit is it works on Vista.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
75 Replies
nsabinske
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'd wager you're running Windows 7. The client is currently broken on 7 and the compatibility modes won't help. The frustrating bit is it works on Vista.

0 Kudos
Webio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yep. I've just wanted to add this info to my post. I'm downloading right now Windows 7 XP compatilibity mode. I hope it helps.

0 Kudos
nsabinske
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yah, that XP VM should run the client fine. Hopefully your system has the necessary processor requirements to run that version of Virtual PC (I think Microsoft really screwed up on that requrement, especially since previous Virtual PC versions do not require CPU virtualization assist???)

0 Kudos
Webio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I was not interested in XP compatibility mode so far so I didn't checked its requirements but now I see that it needs "Hardware Virtualization Technology enabled". Not good. I don't have this "feature" on my desktop computer. Ok so I will have to wait for VMware to release updated vSphere client.

0 Kudos
mjpagan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Not to be "that guy" but shouldn't someone from VMware tried the VI client on a Windows 7 PC? I know it's in beta (RC actually) but not to test it at all is rather silly.

I guess I'll have to use my Windows XP in Unity mode to test out the new software. If anyone figures out a work around please post it.

Mike

Mike Pagán MCITP:EA, MCSE, VCAP5-DCA, VCAP5-DCD,VCP 5, VCP5-DT, CCNA, A+
0 Kudos
ltfields
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Again, the weirdest part is that it works in Vista, and since Vista/Win7 are extremely close in core files/compatibility, you'd think it would work fine. Hell, my 2.0 client works fine in Win7. Oh well, guess I'll spin up my XP VM...

0 Kudos
RMTECH
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

There has been a mass exodus from Vista to Windows 7 going on since the beta was released back in February. The fact that the vSphere client doesn't work in Windows 7 is very surprising. Most of the techs in my office are running Windows 7 and this is a major issue for us. I know we have alternatives like using XP mode and such (using a non RC OS), but I'm assuming the fix should be simple. Yes....I'm basing this on the fact that other than drivers I've only run into a handful of applications that work in Vista but not Win7. Of those handful a couple were able to run once UAC was disabled.

I know this is the first day of the "official' release, but I know VMWare is aware of the issue. When I did a search for this issue I seen some old posts in the beta community, but I can't read them because I'm not authorized.

I guess we are all stuck in a holding pattern until VMWare gives us some guidence.

Please hurry!

0 Kudos
ltfields
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Agreed, in the mean time I would suggest that everyone here who has a Win7 client and a support contract to open a ticket with VMware support. Even though it's not a released OS yet, if we get it up on their radar, a fix should come quicker. I'm logging one now...

0 Kudos
FragKing
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'd like to get it working, too... Smiley Sad

Seems like XP Mode is the way to go.

Hope there's an update, soon.

http://www.quadrotech-it.com
0 Kudos
jreininger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Does this have something to do w/ Win7 Beta w/ IE8 beta (not RC1 yet) not trusting the SSL cert that VC setup. I was unable to even open the VC web site to download the client directly usinjg IE8 beta. No errors no warnings, no messages saying the cert was invalid or non-trusted. I then installed Firefox it showed me the cert was untrusted. I was able to download and export the SSL certificate within Firefox as a .crt file. I then tried to make IE8 beta trust the certificate by importing it, but it still is not working. IE8 beta just stops and gives no errors, etc

Any chance that the OS itself w/ Win7 must trust the certificate to run the vSphere client?

As I recall the client speaks to the VC server via SSL. So maybe if IE can be made to trust it, the client would in fact work.

Jonathan Reininger, VCP*

(* - but this wasent on the test)..

VMware VCP 3.5 VMware VCP 4.0 VMware VCP 5.0
0 Kudos
ltfields
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was able to hit the vCenter server just fine to download the client, but I did get the Certificate error in IE8 on my system. My XP VM has IE8 and I was able to ignore the Cert issue just fine. It's possible there is something inherent in Win7 that's different, but I'm open to anything at this point. Also of note, the upgrade breaks our Xendesktop server as well (but I think that's an SDK compatibility issue and not SSL).

0 Kudos
FragKing
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

english version below.

http://www.quadrotech-it.com
0 Kudos
degustator
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Unfortunately it doesn't look like a certificate trust issue or some other network communications-related stuff. According to Network Monitor, vSphere client actually does not even try to talk to server. So it has to be some local compatibility problem. Unresolved dependencies or something like this...

The funny part here is that vCenter Server 4.0 itself works perfectly on Windows Server 2008 R2 RC (which is the same OS actually as Windows 7).

0 Kudos
VMboxes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

anyone figure out this one yet?.... i can't get the vsphere client working in windows 7 also.

0 Kudos
Webio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can find solution here (somewhere in center of the page):

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/211440

0 Kudos
cobsco
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How ironic, this issue has forced users to install Microsoft Virtual PC. Well those who are using the WinXP Mode solution.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

How ironic, this issue has forced users to install Microsoft Virtual PC. Well those who are using the WinXP Mode solution.

Not really I am running Windows 7, there is a work around you need to replace a file from .NET 3.5 place it in another folder and run the VM Launcher with a debug flag that points to that DLL so it can run, basically.

You don't need to run WinXP mode, I am doing this with NO XP on Windows 7 64-bit right now.

0 Kudos
JetJaguar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the link. The fix on that page is working for me!

0 Kudos
javiergchan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can't get working the VI client too.... im thinking in thinstall ........ someone try with this??

0 Kudos