VMware Cloud Community
mpovah
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Error attempting to create a Datastore

Hello,

I am working with ESXi 5.0 on an HP proliant ML350 tower server, G6 type.

The server is using a RAID5 array and the standard SmartArray P410i controller.

I attempt to create a standard datastore for the server, with the type 3 file system, as I will need this platform to support different VMs from different platforms.

The error I receive is as follows:

"A specified parameter was not correct.
Vim.host.DiskPartitionInfo.spec

Call "HostStorageSystem.ComputeDiskPartitionInfo" for object "storageSystem" on ESXi "192.168.11.79" failed."

I have installed several VIB files from HP, thinkig perhaps this was a driver issue. This has not resolved the issues.

Any assistance greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Matt

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Basically VMFS5 supports LUNs with up to ~64TB. However, there are exceptions like the P410 controller (the driver). Please take a look at http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2006942 for details.

What you can do is to use the ACU (Array Configuration Utility) from the SmartStart CD and spit the RAID5 set into 2 logical volumes. The controller's BIOS utility does not support this.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
sparrowangelste
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

did you already make a lun?

--------------------- Sparrowangelstechnology : Vmware lover http://sparrowangelstechnology.blogspot.com
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

I attempt to create a standard datastore for the server, with the type 3  file system, as I will need this platform to support different VMs from  different platforms.

Can you pease provide some details? What do you mean by "type 3 file system" and how do you try to create this? VMware uses its own VMFS (type FB) file system for datastores.

André

0 Kudos
mpovah
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Type 5 or 3, of VMFS is what I was referring to.

This error occurs when you are attemtping to add storage, which is in fact creating a LUN I believe. The error message appears at the end of the add storage wizard.

Thanks,

Matt

0 Kudos
sparrowangelste
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

you need to craete a lun in the array config util

THEN you add the lun in add storage wizard.

you can choose VMFS 3 if you want

--------------------- Sparrowangelstechnology : Vmware lover http://sparrowangelstechnology.blogspot.com
mpovah
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for this. Well, I had already created the logical disk in the SmartArray manager software at boot up. Is this what you are referring to?

I can go back and double check that but I had selected RAID5, it had indicated the array total size, etc.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What's the total size of the logical volume you created? The maximum supported size is 2TB minus 512 Bytes.

André

mpovah
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well this may be it then. I believe the array is 2.5 terras (6x 500gb drives in a standard raid 5.)

This is odd though because on my Cisco C210 I am sure the array is larger than that, over 2 TB.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Basically VMFS5 supports LUNs with up to ~64TB. However, there are exceptions like the P410 controller (the driver). Please take a look at http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2006942 for details.

What you can do is to use the ACU (Array Configuration Utility) from the SmartStart CD and spit the RAID5 set into 2 logical volumes. The controller's BIOS utility does not support this.

André

0 Kudos
mpovah
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks everyone, I think Andre's answer will be it. The server is at the remote site so I will go over there and try and rebuild the array tomorrow. Likely I will just go with RAID50 at 1.9 TB and try that. It's a shame because it's a waste of space we might need but if it gets me up and operational, there you go. Will post back to confirm if this works. 

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Just to make sure you did not misunderstand what I am thinking of. You can certainly create a RAID5 set with all 6 disks and - using the ACU - create two logical volumes on it. It's not the RAID set itself which needs to be less than 2TB, just the logical volumes. This way you will not loose any disk space, it will only be presented to the host in another way.

André

0 Kudos
mpovah
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No I understand. Actualy this server used to have two 1 TB arrays with 3 disks each I believe. If I go with RAID50 I will have more robustness on the array and it's not that much loss of space. Also it will be eaiser and quicker this project has already taken up way too much of my time unfortunately. It's a backup VMWare platform at our emergency ops center. It's been a long,long story of HP not getting back to me and not getting parts in anything rembling a timely fashion and etc. etc. etc. And now this Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If I go with RAID50 I will have more robustness ...

Maybe, but don't forget how RAID5 (+0) works. With just 3 disks only a single write can occur at the same time, since it requires to lock two disks (data + parity). Anyway, even more important than the RAID level you use, is whether the controller has BBWC/FBWC attached. Without this, you may have a write performance of <10MB/s, with BBWC/FBWC this usually increases to >80MB/s.

André

PS: One more hint: Set Performance to "Static High" in the BIOS.

0 Kudos
mpovah
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I definitely have the 512MB flash write module and etc.

You are right though the 5-0 might not be optimal after all.

I will play with it and post the results. This issue is kind of disappointing though. It's too bad HP doesn't address this and offer a fix.

Thanks,

Matt

0 Kudos
mpovah
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just as an update, what I ended up doing was getting the HP image from the website, a modified version of ESXi 5.1. It has worked well, but it seems to automatically limit the datastore size to 2 TB. I was able to go with a 6-drive RAID5 array, but with a loss of around 400 GB of storage space.

The system is up and running well, and we have been able to proceed, so that is good, and we have a reasonable resolution to these problems.

0 Kudos