VMware Cloud Community
arptro
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Enabling ping for guests

Hello,

Guest vms on my ESXi5 host cannot ping one another. They can ping machines on other hosts. I've tried disabling windows firewall on a machine but other machines still cannot ping it.

I'd appreciate any pointers in the right direction to allow these guest vms to be pinged from other machines in our network and on the same host.

Robert

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

arptro wrote:

I've tried disabling windows firewall on a machine but other machines still cannot ping it.

As there is really nothing in the ESXi that could prevent pings to a VM guest I think the most likely reason is that the Windows Firewall is still enabled.

Which Windows version are you using and how did you do to try to disable the firewall?

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Camek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Like you did test by making user the firewall is disabled and still not working then check with your networking guys...  Sounds like you might have a Access Control List which prevents communcation between VLAN.

0 Kudos
krishna_v78
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Guest VMs which are on same host doesn't use ESXi physical NIC as they only communite using vswitch.

Pl paste the networking configure for those VMs

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

arptro wrote:

I've tried disabling windows firewall on a machine but other machines still cannot ping it.

As there is really nothing in the ESXi that could prevent pings to a VM guest I think the most likely reason is that the Windows Firewall is still enabled.

Which Windows version are you using and how did you do to try to disable the firewall?

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
0 Kudos
arptro
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Once I rebooted after disabling the firewall, ping was available.

Once we get some installs done I will reenable the firewall and fine tune.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
sparrowangelste
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Thanks for the update.

--------------------- Sparrowangelstechnology : Vmware lover http://sparrowangelstechnology.blogspot.com
0 Kudos