VMware Cloud Community
smyth
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi install on Dell iDRAC6 vFlash Media

I am looking at purchasing a Dell R210 with the optional iDRAC6 Enterprise card with vFlash media for ESXi. I know that the server is on the HCL list but does anybody know if I can install it to the vFlash media card or do I have to use the internal USB and flash drive?

Does anyone know how good the Intel i3 530 Clarkdale CPU would be for running ESXi and a few VM's, again they have just been added to the HCL.

Also as a side question (As no real answer from Dell) does anyone know if you buy the iDRAC Enterprise card without the vFlash media option does it still have the slot so I can put in my own SD card?

Greatful for any help anyone can provide.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Borja_Mari
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

i will try to answer the question about the processor Smiley Happy

Your Intel i3 530 processor: is a dual core procesor with intel-vt and hyper-threading. Suitable for a low server consolidation.

It should run without problems 4-6 virtual machines, maybe more.

The definite number of vm's depends for example of the host memory and disk space and the load that vm's would have,

Un saludo/Regards,

Pablo

Si encuentras mi respuesta de ayuda, por favor considera puntuarla como correcta o útil. Muchas gracias!! - If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" answers. Thanks!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- PLEASE CONSIDER AWARDING any HELPFUL or CORRECT reply. Thanks!! Por favor CONSIDERA PREMIAR cualquier respuesta ÚTIL o CORRECTA . ¡¡Muchas gracias!! VCP3, VCP4, VCP5-DCV (VCP550), vExpert 2010, 2014 BLOG: http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/VirtuallyAnITNoob
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Since it is bootable it is likely that vFlash could be used but I would use the dedicated SD slot for ESXi. The vFlash module is intended as emergency boot / repair etc and it would be helpful to use that way.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
mudha
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

just double i think R210 does not supprt embedded u can go ahead with insatllable,

0 Kudos
smyth
Contributor
Contributor

You are right there is no internal SD slot for embedded but there is an internal USB slot, is that not the same as embedded and then you just use the installable image to install onto the USB flash drive?

I know it is slightly off topic but as previously asked does anyone know when you order the Dell iDRAC6 Enterprise card option do you get the SD slot on the card to add in your own SD card or do you have to specify the vFlash option?

0 Kudos
mudha
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

just check this,

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/software/eslvmwre/VS/VS.htm

R210 does not support embedded, coming iDRAC 6 SD slot, it's not same as embedded, you need to have separate SD or internal USB slot tto have to isnatll embedded on your system, as of now u can insatll esxi insatllable

0 Kudos