VMware Cloud Community
gte999g
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi Server/Workstation

I  would like to build a single machine that acts as a server and a  workstation on the same hardware. I am imagining a server box with two processors, 64 GB of memory and a RAID-6 with 2TB of usable  capacity. I would like to then load VMware ESXi on the bare box. Then  have multiple virtual machines running in VMware. I would then like  for one VM to be the default machine to boot up and run as a workstation  on the box while I could Remote into the other OS. Try to imagine a  dual boot machine where both OS’s are running at the same time one inside  the other one. While at the same time running a file server (RAID-6) all  on the same hardware. Also, have multiple displays  connected to the box.

Will  I be able to connect multiple monitors to the server/workstation box  with a mouse and keyboard and use it as a server and workstation in one?  Will Remote Desktop clients support multiple displays? I expect to run  into hardware driver issues, inability to start a workstation inside the  server on the same hardware, inability to have multiple monitors, etc..  Any guidance would be appreciated.

Has anyone attempted this? If so, what are the complications, and how did you make it happen?

I  would like to consolidate my workstation and file server and get  maximum performance for multiple OS’s. Am I completely out to lunch?

Thanks for any assistance.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

If I understand you correctly, then "No" you can't achieve this with ESXi. ESXi is a bare metal Hypervisor which has only a rudimentary console/display. If you want to connect to any of the virtual machines running on it, you need to access them from another system using either the vSphere Client, RDP, SSH...

There's no way to connect another monitor to the ESXi host to access a virtual machine directly.

André

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

hi - welcome to the community.

Unfortunately - the answer to your question is NO.

You could though install something like VMware workstation on a running OS and then install a 'Server' VM and a 'Workstation' VM on that and simply drop their console screens onto a different monitor each though.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos