VMware Cloud Community
minez0
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 8.0 Upgrade Failure - Huge Error List!

Wondering if anyone can help me.  I am attempting to upgrade my system from ESXi 7.0U3 to ESXi 8.0 and am receiving the following errors (there are a lot more pages than this - this is just what fit into the screenshot).  Pretty much every line is the same though:

File path of XXXX is claimed by multiple non-overlay VIBs

The VIBs that seem to be causing conflicts are mostly the following two in conflict with each other:

VMware_bootbank_esx-base_8.0.0-1.0.20513097

VMware_bootbank_esxio-base_8.0.0-1.0.20513097

All of the conflicts seem to be VMware core VIBs.

I recently upgraded from 6.7 to 7U3 without any issues, so it's unclear to me what the root cause of these errors is.  If anyone can assist that would be great!

ESXi Update.jpg

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DCasota
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Use vSphere Lifecycle Manager or the ISO to upgrade your system from ESXi 7.0U3 to ESXi 8.0. Use the vendor specific ISO.

The upgrade issue usually occurs on non-supported hardware, check https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php, or on systems with mixed installbase vendor + VMware standard profile image. 

Some thoughts about options:

• customer challenge 1: Fix mixed installbase before upgrade
  • customer challenge 2: withdraw not-supported hardware
  • developers/oem challenge: provide your own support by an ESXi Image Profile for ESXi 7.0 with all packages, and the same for ESXi 8.0. See PowerCLI New-EsxImageProfile -NewProfile

0 Kudos
maksym007
Expert
Expert

Another option, in case you have iLO or iDRAC, mount ISO from Vendor and upgrade your ESXi from there. 

Choose an option, upgrade ESXi preserve VMFS and you will not lose your VMs. 

0 Kudos
HannesF77
Contributor
Contributor

maybe because you installed the hardwaredistributor (dell) customized iso image AND the addon vib package ?

i had the same issue and fixed it by overwriting the /altbootbank/ content (delete it and copy /bootbank/ to it), then change boot.config version number and after rebooting you can reapply the updates again with a step in between. 7.0U3 -> to latest version of 7.0U3 -> after that 8.0 version.

0 Kudos