VMware Cloud Community
ParkvilleCS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESXi 6.5 AMD 1800X Support?

Does anyone have information on an update to ESXi to support the new AMD CPUs? I have an 1800X crying to run ESXi. At this point I am forced to run VMware Workstation Pro on it due to incompatibility with ESXi.

Thank you for any info you may be able to share.

Eric

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thanks!  Got it.  It turns out that there's a fix for this already queued up for a future ESXi 6.5 patch/update.  I can't give a timeline... sorry.

Does your host firmware settings allow for disabling of individual processor cores/threads?  If so, note that this problem will only affect processors with more than 15 cores/threads... Disabling one core and enabling hyperthreading would at least get you 14 threads of execution until the fixed release is available.

Cheers,

--

Darius

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
25 Replies
ParkvilleCS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No love in 6.5B. Come on VMware!

0 Kudos
ParkvilleCS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No love in 6.5D update.

0 Kudos
ParkvilleCS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you turn off SMT you can install ESXi 6.5 on Ryzen but you lose your hyper-threading.

VMware, cant you at least tell us if you are working on this?

0 Kudos
cyberance
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, same question here. It would really help my purchasing planning if I had some idea when VMWare will, if ever, support the AMD Ryzen CPU series.

thanks!

0 Kudos
childs9991
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, same question here. It would really help my purchasing planning if I had some idea when VMWare will, if ever, support the AMD Ryzen CPU series.

thanks!

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

What's the error message or failure you are receiving?  Attach a screenshot/photo if you think it might be useful.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
ParkvilleCS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It is the pink PSOD screen. This article explains what is happening. My understanding is if you disable SMT in the bios you can run ESXi 6.5. But what is the point in that? By disabling SMT you are turning off "Hyper Threading". So you go from a great 16 thread CPU back down to 8 threads.

AMD Ryzen "Working" with VMware ESXi 6.5 to an extent

I check the site weakly for an update but nothing since April. AMD also has threadripper on the way and then their server line of CPUs. So I expect VMware will eventually get this worked out. So for now I have a 1800X sitting on the shelf waiting for the update.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

OK, so the PSOD message is "pcpu 15 has a bad apicID 0xf".  This is presumably the same PSOD as childs9991​ was encountering over in Ryzen 7 1700 - PSOD .

To help troubleshoot this, if you have Workstation running on that same host, please create a fresh VM (no OS required, just a blank VM configured for MS-DOS in its default configuration will do), power it on once and let it fail to find an OS, then power it off, and grab the vmware.log from inside that VM's directory and attach it here in this thread.  (Just use the Attach link in the lower-right corner when composing a reply... please don't copy-and-paste.)

Thanks,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Also, which motherboard are you using?

0 Kudos
ParkvilleCS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Aorus AX370-Gaming K7 Motherboard

ParkvilleCS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I can not do this test as I can not install ESXi on the Host. So I can not create a VM as requested.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

It's fine to create the VM using Workstation running directly on the host OS and collect the information that way.  I'm mostly just looking for the various bits of of host CPU information that are collected in the log, and Workstation should collect much the same information as ESXi would.  (In theory you could probably run ESXi inside Workstation, but please don't do that for this test... just create the blank VM using Workstation running on your host.  It'll be easier, and the information collected will be ​much​ more useful)  Thanks!

--

Darius

0 Kudos
ParkvilleCS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Log attached.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thanks!  Got it.  It turns out that there's a fix for this already queued up for a future ESXi 6.5 patch/update.  I can't give a timeline... sorry.

Does your host firmware settings allow for disabling of individual processor cores/threads?  If so, note that this problem will only affect processors with more than 15 cores/threads... Disabling one core and enabling hyperthreading would at least get you 14 threads of execution until the fixed release is available.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
ParkvilleCS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I will try your suggestion about disabling a core. I do believe that is possible in this boards bios. I will update when complete.

0 Kudos
ParkvilleCS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I did find a "Core Step Down" setting. I could not disable just one core. I had to disable 2. So the processor is running 6 core / 12 thread. ESXi 6.5 did install with this configuration. While not optimal, you are the first person I found that could give me an answer and temp workaround. Thank you for your help and I hope this thread helps others. I look forward to that update!

cyberance
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This means that ESXi should work with Ryzen 5 processors. This is great news. Thanks!!!

0 Kudos
ParkvilleCS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Has anyone heard of an update coming? I've still been checking every week since the last update. This update needs to happen before Threadripper!

I wonder if Intel is behind this taking so long. Pressure from Intel because of the likes of the new AMD processors?

PLEASE VMWARE UPDATE SO WE CAN USE THESE AWSOME PROCESSORS!

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I wonder if Intel is behind this taking so long. Pressure from Intel because of the likes of the new AMD processors?

That's an awesome conspiracy theory... :smileygrin:  The reality is just that it is a defect that we didn't catch until too late, and our general vSphere/ESXi update pipeline is ... not optimized for speed, shall we say?

The update is coming, but I really can't say when it'll be out... sorry!  Hopefully not too much longer.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos