VMware Cloud Community
ZB0T
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 5.1 host not showing all memory

We have 4 HP Proliant DL380p Gen8 servers in a cluster each with 64GB of RAM (8 x 8GB DIMMs).  When I look at the host summary in the vSphere client (either through vCenter or directly to the host) 3 of the hosts show 64GB of memory and one only shows 56GB.  I'm wondering if I have a bad DIMM or if the host is just not reporting the correct total memory.  When I look at the hardware status for this host in the vSphere client it shows all 8 DIMMs (64GB) with no errors.  I've also looked in the iLO for this host and it is showing all 8 DIMMs and 64GB of memory with no errors.  I've ssh'd into this host and ran smbiosDump and it also shows 8 DIMMs.

Anyone had this problem before?  I tried rebooting the host and that didn't change anything.  Should I just try to reseat all the DIMMs?

Thanks for reading!!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ZB0T
Contributor
Contributor

I ended up testing each DIMM.  The BIOS flash screen was only showing 56GB installed as well although iLO was showing 64GB.  I pulled each DIMM one by one and found the culprit.  Should have done this first but it was confusing that the iLO was reporting everything as good.

0 Kudos