VMware Cloud Community
tetradelta
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi 5.1.0 and updates question

HI All,

I have quite a few ESXi 5.1.0 servers that are outdated as far as updates. Must I find what release/patch level I am on and update all the patches from there on or can I simply apply the latest update and get all the fixes that are included in the other updates?

What is your experience with this?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
martinriley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi there,

VMware release individual patches/updates/security fixes as required but periodically they'll release a rollup update or a new release which will include all previous updates to that date.  Between these rollups additional individual patches may be released that you will need to find an install manually unless your policy is to wait for the next rollup, so you need to consider your patching policy as to how you'll approach this, whether you obtain the patches as they become available or just apply rollups and major updates and releases.

Regardless, the easiest way to manage this is via Update Manager if you have the facility, you can automatically download all the updates, rollups, patches, hot fixes etc. and create baselines which will do the work for you in scanning the hosts and working out what patches are missing, and make sure you can get them all to the same patching level- but in the short term, you can install the latest Update (eg. 5.1 Update 3) and that will include all the updates up to the release date of that update.  To make sure you can check the Release Notes to confirm exactly what patches and fixes are included in each release.

Hope this helps

vM

-----------------------

VCAP-DCD / VCAP-DCA / VCP-CLOUD / VCP-DT / VCP5 / VCP4

-----------------------

vMustard.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
martinriley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi there,

VMware release individual patches/updates/security fixes as required but periodically they'll release a rollup update or a new release which will include all previous updates to that date.  Between these rollups additional individual patches may be released that you will need to find an install manually unless your policy is to wait for the next rollup, so you need to consider your patching policy as to how you'll approach this, whether you obtain the patches as they become available or just apply rollups and major updates and releases.

Regardless, the easiest way to manage this is via Update Manager if you have the facility, you can automatically download all the updates, rollups, patches, hot fixes etc. and create baselines which will do the work for you in scanning the hosts and working out what patches are missing, and make sure you can get them all to the same patching level- but in the short term, you can install the latest Update (eg. 5.1 Update 3) and that will include all the updates up to the release date of that update.  To make sure you can check the Release Notes to confirm exactly what patches and fixes are included in each release.

Hope this helps

vM

-----------------------

VCAP-DCD / VCAP-DCA / VCP-CLOUD / VCP-DT / VCP5 / VCP4

-----------------------

vMustard.com

0 Kudos
VMpalavsachin27
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The most efficient, safe and fastest way is using the update manager. The beauty I like most is the using self defined base lines and you can also schedule downloads to helping save some time in uploading patches.

0 Kudos
tetradelta
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks guys!

0 Kudos