VMware Cloud Community
keshwarsingh
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 5.0 100Mbps virtual network interface

Hello,

Is there the possibility to use a 100Mbps virtual nic on a VM instead of the e1000?

Or is there a possibility that vmware will add this feature?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
nielse
Expert
Expert

You can configure outgoing traffic speed on a portgroup but not on the VM itself by editing the settings. If you use a distributed vswitch you can configure both (incoming & outgoing).

@nielsengelen - http://foonet.be - VCP4/5
0 Kudos
keshwarsingh
Contributor
Contributor

Distributed switch requires an enterprise plus license & vcenter!

One question, can the vcenter server be located on another location? For example host servers located in europe, vcenter server located in usa ?

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello,

Read this similar discussion http://communities.vmware.com/thread/208614

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
CFormage
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can put the vCenter wherever you wish, so long as you have sufficient network connectiviy /bandwith/ firewall rules between it and the hosts.

The remote console may be a little laggy if you ever want to use it Smiley Wink

I have seen one place that has vCenter in Middle east and some hosts connected via satellite which are sitting in cruise ships floating all around the place.

Blog: www.dcinfrastructure.blogspot.com
0 Kudos
keshwarsingh
Contributor
Contributor

The vcenter server will be located in FR & the host servers in NL. I have 15ms latency from FR to NL, so i think this should be enough ?

0 Kudos
CFormage
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yeah, As I said you should be fine, the delay when using the console can be annoying but thats life.

So long as you are talking about having the vCenter communicate with the host over that distance, its fine.

If your thinking of having the in guest VM connect to storage over that distance it will not be nice.

0 Kudos
keshwarsingh
Contributor
Contributor

no i just need the vcenter to communicate with the hosts...

0 Kudos
CFormage
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You are good to go

0 Kudos
keshwarsingh
Contributor
Contributor

hehe good to hear that 🙂

in fact i need vcenter to test the distributed vswitch.. i have 9 vms on a node in NL on 1 gigabit internet uplink, i want to throttle the bandiwth per vm to 100mbps so that each vm gets an equal share..

I would be applying an enterprise plus license on the node, once my test are done, is it possible to downgrade the license to enterprise version?

0 Kudos
RalphieK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi knadan,

Yes, it is possible to change your license edition.You should also keep in mind that sometimes you'll have to remove and add hosts to vCenter again because of set of features associated with that particular vCenter server agent (which has to be removed at that time). But it's not the case of shifting from ent+ to ent though.    

-- RalphieKay
0 Kudos