VMware Cloud Community
fajarpri
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESXi 4.1 Hypervisor download vs vSphere

Hi all,

I just notice in the download section. Is ESXi 4.1 Hypervisor the same as what we download from inside vSphere section?

Also, in vSphere section is there any difference between various  cathegory like Essential, Standard, etc? Because when I click them, the  content is just the same.

Thanks.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It's the same install (and patches) for the VMware Hypervisor and vSphere ESXi.  It's just the license key that determines if you're running the free edition or a specific vSphere licensed edition.  The ESX/ESXi downloads are the same in the vSphere downloads section you just get a few other download options with the higher licensed editions to reflect different options (like vShield Zones).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It's the same install (and patches) for the VMware Hypervisor and vSphere ESXi.  It's just the license key that determines if you're running the free edition or a specific vSphere licensed edition.  The ESX/ESXi downloads are the same in the vSphere downloads section you just get a few other download options with the higher licensed editions to reflect different options (like vShield Zones).

0 Kudos
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

The download is the same, the difference in the features available is the license key applied.

A comparison chart on the the various versions is here:

http://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere/buy/editions_comparison.html

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
fajarpri
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I see. Thanks for the explanation guys. So, don't you think VMWare is rather inefficient in the way it presents the web? Why not just provide 1 section in vSphere. Currently it separates the various license level in the download section, while in reality it points to the same software.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

definitely a good point, I will feed it back to the team who is responsible for this section.

Duncan (VCDX)

Available now on Amazon: vSphere 4.1 HA and DRS technical deepdive