VMware Cloud Community
teiitman
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 4.0.0 on HP DL320s w/ Intel 3060 64-bit problems?

Hi all,

I'm receiving an error on an ESXi4 host when I try and convert a 64-bit template from my ESX3.5 environment. It says the host can't take a 64-bit guest OS. I've enabled the proper settings in the BIOS and verified with HP that the DL320s w/ the 3060 should take a 64-bit OS.

Any ideas of what to try next?

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
MattG
Expert
Expert

Try to do a fresh 64-bit install of the same OS on the same host and see if you get the same message. This is almost always the result of not having VT enabled in the BIOS.

-MattG

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Make sure you have done a complete power off after setting the BIOS for virtualization.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

You can try running the CPU identification utility. It will tell you whether you are capable of 64bit or not.

http://downloads.vmware.com/d/info/datacenter_downloads/vmware_esxi/4#drivers_tools

0 Kudos
teiitman
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the help so far. The CPU ID utility gives me interesting results. It says all CPUs are not identical. The server is only a single socket - and it has a dual core proc (3060). How can that equal them not being identical? I don't understand. Bin1 says all systems are a go (yes, yes), but Bin2 says 64-bit longmode is Yes but that 64-bit VMWare is: No (BIOS feature may enable).

But VT is enabled in the BIOS - for sure.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

You have powered off the machine?

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Pulled the plug?

0 Kudos
teiitman
Contributor
Contributor

Yes - I've totally powered off numerous times, and pulled the plug as well. I even went so far as to wipe the array and re-install a fresh ESXi. I have no production VM's running on this yet - just waiting to use it to install a 64-bit guest OS...

I don't know what else to do. Here is the spec on the proc http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=27205

does the fact that for physical address extensions it says: 32-bit have anything to do with it?

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

This is a G6? Update all your HP firmware. Make sure you download the most current specifically for VMware. If you have updated the firmware using a Windows or Linux version you may have something not suitable for VMware and you may need to downgrade.

0 Kudos
teiitman
Contributor
Contributor

It's a G1. It's a DL320s, not a DL320. It's never run Windows or Linux. Before this it was an ESX3.5 (not i) host. While it was running ESX3.5 we never tried to put anything 64-bit on it. I will look at the firmware...

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

You may have problems installing 4. This isn't on the compatibility list and there are probably multiple reasons for it not working. I would try firmware updates but . . .

Try changing the Execute Disable Bit setting. Again power off.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

After updating firmware and changing the Execute Bit rerun the CPU ID cd

0 Kudos
MBaddcon
Contributor
Contributor

Hi – a bit late reply on this I suppose

I have a HP DL320s G1 (Storage server with 12 bays, for 3½ HDD’s – S-ATA most often)

It has one Intel  Xeon 3060 2.40 GHz CPU.  I have been using ESXi 4.0.0 build 171994 successfully for some time now. I guess since the 4.0.0 became available. 

Although the DL320s is not on the 4.x.x HCL (cannot find anything about is though) it has been running fine with three or four VM’s (32 bit gust OS that is).

Because I had so replace a large number of the disks I have chosen to reinstall everything.  So I tried to install ESXi 4.1.0 bit it hangs during boot and install. So I guess it is not possible to run 4.1.0 on that host.

Now it is back running 4.0.0 and I just tried to create a Windows 2008 64 bit virtual machine.  So I take it that the DL320s G1 server really can run 64 bit guest OS.

I can recommend to use HP’s PSP (Proliant Support Pack) CD’s and run HP Firmware upgrade from this. I do it all the time I get hands on a HP server (DL or ML series).  But be sure to check what PSP version you can use on the specific server. The latest PSP is not always the best. Support for old servers are purged out from the PSP content so you might end up with the newest PSP and no updates on the old Iron J

Kind regards

M Borik

0 Kudos