VMware Cloud Community
AndreasBucher
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXI Licensing

Hi,

I'm quite new to ESXI, and i got some questions about Lisencing.

What i have done so far.

1. Installed ESXI 4.0.0, 164009 on a System

2. Connected with my Laptop to the System and Downloaded the Client, over the Link "Download vSphere Clien" and installed it.

3. Over the Menu Help -> VMWare on the Web -> Register now i went to the Webpage, there i insert the Serial i got over my account in the Download ESXi 4 part.

When i now Start my vSphere Client it always says that it is evaluation Mode and i got 60 days remaining.

Now my Question:

1. Isn't ESXi free of cost?

2. Does vSphere Client needs a Lisence?

3. Is there another Client to work with ESXi than that vSphere Client.

Thanks for any answers.

Kind regards

Andreas Bucher

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
stpeev
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Using the vSphere client, you can click on the host in the inventory tree. Then go to Connfiguration tab on the right. Once on the tab choose Licensed Features. you should be able to enter your key using the "Edit..." link there.

As far as the free product: I believe it is free in a sense that you get a free license key. But if you use it without entering this license key, it will run in evaluation mode. This mode is actually a fully working mode with the difference that after 60 days you will start seeing varios features not working (e.g.: you will not be able to power on your VMs)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Forums -

1) ESXi is still free but you will need to register and download a license for the server -

2) There is no license for the vSphere client becaue it is the ESX/ESXi server or vCenter that you pay for -

3) No the vSphere client is it -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
stpeev
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Using the vSphere client, you can click on the host in the inventory tree. Then go to Connfiguration tab on the right. Once on the tab choose Licensed Features. you should be able to enter your key using the "Edit..." link there.

As far as the free product: I believe it is free in a sense that you get a free license key. But if you use it without entering this license key, it will run in evaluation mode. This mode is actually a fully working mode with the difference that after 60 days you will start seeing varios features not working (e.g.: you will not be able to power on your VMs)

0 Kudos
AndreasBucher
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

All done Thanks you 2 Very Much

0 Kudos