VMware Cloud Community
sbroskey
Contributor
Contributor

ESX vSphere 4.1 guest VM SQL 2008 install issues

I have created a Virtual Machine that is running Windows 2008 Standard Edition 64 bit. I created it with 4 processors and 6 Gb of memory. I'm trying to install SQL 2008 Standard Edition 64 bit and shortly after the installation starts it hits a point where it starts to copy files and freezes. Are there any known issues with running SQL 2008 on a guest system within Vsphere 4.1? Why is the install locking up? Any help with this matter would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

There are no issues with running SQL 2008 under a VM - what type of host are you running your VM on? How many CPUs and cores? How Much memory? I am thing you are running into some resource contention during the install -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
sbroskey
Contributor
Contributor

I'm running the VM on a vSphere 4.1 host server. It's a Dell I beleive R710 Poweredge with two processors, each with 6 cores. The host server has 24Mb of memory. I configured the Virtual Machine with 4 processors and 6Gb of memory. 

Any thoughts from this information?

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
nalfonso14
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, 2 option..

a) Download other ISO for SQL 2008 and try.

b) chek this, disable Vmware tools drivers called "Shared Folders"

1. Uninstall VMware Tools from the Control Panel Programs and Features.
  2. Reboot the virtual machine.
  3. Install Vmware Tools for the virtual machine.
  4. Select Custom for the VMware Tools installation.
  5. Expand Vmware Device Drivers to click Shared Folders.
  6. Select This feature will not be available.
  7. Complete the VMware Tools installation.
  8. Reboot the virtual machine.
  9. Use the command line of the guest operating system to verify that the vmhgfs service is not installed.
             For example, issue the following command: sc qc vmhgfs
             If the vmhgfs service is not installed, a message similar to the following is issued:
             OpenService FAILED 1060
             The specified service does not exist as an installed service.
  10. Install SQL Server 2008 R2
Nicolas Alfonso Sr Virtualization Architect ***Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.***
0 Kudos
sbroskey
Contributor
Contributor

Gave that a try and it's still a no go. I also tried downloading and recreating the ISO CD again. This time I received a bootstrapper ERROR with the new CD and then when I went back to the original CD I received an error that it couldn't install net frame work 3.5 sp1 which I didn't receive before. This is getting frusterating at best any other idea's? I also tried copying the setup files from both CD's to the D drive and I receive MS-DOS errors that the format can't be read or copied. The funny thing is that I used the original CD to install SQL 2008 on a 32 bit Windows 2003 R2 VM just fine. I'm only having this problem installing this on 64 bit Windows 2008 Standard Edition. The SQL CD is a 32\64 bit CD. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos