VMware Cloud Community
Rohail2004
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESX name in lower case

My ESX host names appearing in lower cases in vCenter 4.1. How can I make them appear in upper cases which looks way better than lower cases.?

thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

...and don't forget DNS. If they are lowercase you'll have to update them as well.

my .02: Seems like a lot of work, just to make it ascetically pleasing to the eye.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

My ESX host names appearing in lower cases in vCenter 4.1. How can I make them appear in upper cases which looks way better than lower cases.?

It looks way better?. DNS, is usually created in lower case. Also, most references to your build within ESXi will all be lower case. I say leave it lower case.

0 Kudos
Rohail2004
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yea I like it better in uppercase, maybe because we had hosts in the past with uppercases in ESX 4.0.

I read modifying the vpx_host name will do the trick, but it didnt work... sql throw me an error saying row can't be updated.

Is there a way to change it to upper case or not?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

have you tried, using the vSphere Client, going to the configuration tab, DNS and routing, properties, and changing the hostname there to uppercase? However, you may also have to change you DNS entries to uppercase as well.

0 Kudos
f10
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If you are planning to change the ESX hostname ensure that this change is done in the following three files

/etc/hosts

/etc/sysconfig/network

/etc/vmware/esx.conf

Make sure that the hostname is in Upper/Lower case on all the ESX hosts and in all the above files, refer KB article for more info

VMkernel is case sensitive !!

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

f-10

VCP3, VCP4, HPCP, HP UX CSA

Regards, Arun Pandey VCP 3,4,5 | VCAP-DCA | NCDA | HPUX-CSA | http://highoncloud.blogspot.in/ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
Rohail2004
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

i have checked all those files and they're in upper case, but vCenter 4.1 is showing in lower case.. I dont know why.

Host = ESXi 4.1, vCenter 4.1

0 Kudos
f10
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Did you reboot the ESXi host after changing the hostname ? though I didn't have to reboot the host every time after changing the host but this requirement is provided in the DNS and Routing Configuration box.

You may try to restart the services using #services.sh restart command on the ESXi server for changes to take effect if reboot is not possible.

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

f-10

VCP3, VCP4, HPCP, HP UX CSA

Regards, Arun Pandey VCP 3,4,5 | VCAP-DCA | NCDA | HPUX-CSA | http://highoncloud.blogspot.in/ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

...and don't forget DNS. If they are lowercase you'll have to update them as well.

my .02: Seems like a lot of work, just to make it ascetically pleasing to the eye.

0 Kudos