VMware Cloud Community
TRay170
Contributor
Contributor

Disassociate vSphere 5 Essentials license key assigned to the host

I would like to disassociate the vSphere 5 Essentials license key assigned to the host so that I can use it on a new server.  I am under the impression that the license key will have to be removed from the ADAM's Database.  I am not sure how this is accomplished and haven't been able to find another KB article that explains the process.  I do not need to retain any of the hosts configured on the current server.  I just need to free up the license to use on a new install.  If there is any clarification needed please let me know.

Thanks,

Tim

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

If I understand your question correctly,  you wish to replace an existing ESXi host and you won't be making any changes to vCenter.

This KB article covers the steps to re-assign a license.  You won't have to edit any databases.   If you need to migrate VMs over to the new host you can do this:
1) Attach the new host while it is licensed with the 60 day eval.
2) Migrate VMs to the new host
3) Shut down the old host and remove it from vCenter.
4) Re-assign the license as shown  in the KB article.
0 Kudos
TRay170
Contributor
Contributor

What I forgot to mention is that my server has 64GB of RAM which is why I had to purchase a licenesed version.  All I am trying to do is free up my license so that I can use it on a new server.  I don't need anything associated with the old server.  None of the hosts or anything.

I just want to do a fresh install on my new server and use use my purchased license.  I may not have used a correct eval license because when I attmepted to replace the licenesed version with it, I was given a message that I couldn't because I was over the 32GB limit.  Image attached.

Thanks

0 Kudos
TRay170
Contributor
Contributor

Support was able to resolve this issue by assignin g me a temporary license key for vSphere 5 Essentials. I applied that temporary key and was able to free up my licensed key.  Initially they has eluded that they couldn't help becuase I had only purchased the license and no support but once they understood what I was trying to accomplish they reached out and helped me.  Hopefully this helps someone if they run into a similar issue.

0 Kudos