VMware Cloud Community
keypass
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Devices: Normal, Degraded

hi,

I'm newbie with vmware and have installed my first server

its a HP with Raid1 after installing ESXi 6 U3 I saw that devices status is Normal, Degraded

what means that? thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
keypass
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hi,

for your information - Update to latest Patch was successful 🙂
and the Normal, Degraded mode is now "Normal" so its now perfect.

thank you for your help!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
fabio1975
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

CIao

It looks like a RAID level problem.
From the ILO or the RAID console (at the BIOS level) are you having errors?
Is RAID 1 control level configured? In theory, the volume created by the RAID should appear in the screenshot you attached. (Do not consider that in my image we speak of DELL volumes)

fabio1975_0-1632397833085.pngInstead you see the two individual disks

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog
If you're satisfied give me a kudos

0 Kudos
keypass
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hi,

no there are no error in iLO or HP array utility... the disks are all good, also the raid battery.

I found this thread:

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/ESXi-Discussions/Disks-degraded-in-ESXi/m-p/1404450

with this reply:

We had opened a case with both HP and VMWARE. HP replied as follows:

This field for the device is specifically reserved for indicating the path status of the device. If  there is only one path to the target then the status is "degraded".

The host client is showing an extended information in case of New Server as ‘Normal, Degraded’ instead of just ‘Normal’.

This does not have any effect on the functioning of the LUN.
VMWARE said that because this is counted as remote disk so it expects two paths to it, if not found it will put it as degraded. Now to resolve this we need to tag this as local disk using the following procedure through SSH. But if you have vCenter, you can simply right click the device and click on `Mark as Local`. If no vCenter use the following procedure:

esxcli storage nmp satp rule add -s VMW_SATP_LOCAL --device diskid --option="enable_local"     (replace the diskid with the disk identifier)

esxcli storage core claiming reclaim -d diskid   (replace the diskid with the disk identifier)

esxcli storage core claimrule load

esxcli storage core claimrule run

This has worked for me and all my local disks are showing as Normal now and `Status:ON`. The `Local` field is reading as true.

Let me know if you need further help.

Can I run this commands?

thanks

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello.
If your server is HP, check in the ILO the Hardware log and the stauts of the controller and the disks.

If your server is HP and you install the VMware vSphere with the HPE custom image. You must have the disk controller management and configuration utility.

Log in to the ESXi host via SSH connection to verify that you have the following directory /opt/hp/hpssacli/bin/hpssacli

Another option is to obtain the utility and install it.
https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/swd/detail?swItemId=MTX_499c1fbb1d1043f5bbedb98a41#tab-history

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
keypass
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hi Enrique,

thanks for your help.

I found this in an other tread and run it and can confirm that all status are correct:

[root@ESXiTEST:/opt/smartstorageadmin/ssacli/bin] ./ssacli ctrl all show status

Smart Array P410i in Slot 0 (Embedded)
Controller Status: OK
Cache Status: OK
Battery/Capacitor Status: OK

when I get this ... is it installed or not? to you thing I must install it ?

sorry may be I m asking so stupid

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello.
You have the most current (SSACLI) utility, which is usually for VMware vsphere 6.5 0 .67
the Smart Array P410i controller is showing without problems and that is good, it is the real status (Hardware).
anyway it would be good to check the status of the disks
Physical disk status
ESXi 6.5 -> /opt/smartstorageadmin/ssacli/bin/ssacli ctrl slot=0 pd all show status

Attached is a link with a list of commands
https://kallesplayground.wordpress.com/useful-stuff/hp-smart-array-cli-commands-under-esxi/

There are cases that due to firmware and driver version issues the statuses are not shown correctly in the web client and even show false alerts about the disks and the controller.

What version of VMware vSphere (indicate build) do you have. Do you have vcenter Server, what version (Build).
You may need to update the ESXi host or the driver you are using.

Enrique Espinel
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
keypass
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

nice link thanks. status all OK.

./ssacli ctrl slot=0 pd all show status

physicaldrive 1I:1:1 (port 1I:box 1:bay 1, 146 GB): OK
physicaldrive 1I:1:2 (port 1I:box 1:bay 2, 146 GB): OK
physicaldrive 1I:1:3 (port 1I:box 1:bay 3, 146 GB, spare): OK
physicaldrive 2I:1:6 (port 2I:box 1:bay 6, 1 TB): OK
physicaldrive 2I:1:7 (port 2I:box 1:bay 7, 1 TB): OK
physicaldrive 2I:1:8 (port 2I:box 1:bay 8, 1 TB): OK

What version of VMware vSphere (indicate build) do you have. Do you have vcenter Server, what version (Build).
You may need to update the ESXi host or the driver you are using.

do you mean:

Version: 6.0.0 Update 3 (Build 13635687)

its the free Edition...

i've taken this edition because this is supported by hp with my old g7 server

it's possible to update this edition?

thank you.

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello
the latest build of version 6.0 is 15517548 (2020). you can download it at the following link:
https://customerconnect.vmware.com/patch/

The 6 license is for versions 6.0, 6.5 and 6.7.

maybe your hardware is compatible with other versions like 6.5 or 6.7. You can validate this at the following link:

http://partnerweb.vmware.com/comp_guide2/search.php

Enrique Espinel
0 Kudos
keypass
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hi,

thanks,

thats my first update installation on EXSI 😉 is that safe?
and can I update in one stop from my version to this version ?
I have a backup from the vms, but updates works without problems?

and my Server is for ESXi 6.0 U3 means that its not working with 6.5 or not tested... is an update to higher than 6.0 a bad idea?

thank you.

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello.
The most important thing is the data, so you should always have an updated backup of it.

The first step before an upgrade and / or patching of the operating system is to have a backup of the data.

Updates and patches are safe if done properly.

Version 6.0 is out of support, so it will be more and more difficult to get any help.
If your hardware supports it, it is best to migrate to more recent versions like 6.5 and 6.7., or think about a hardware change to get to the latest version 7.

Enrique Espinel
0 Kudos
keypass
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hi,

for your information - Update to latest Patch was successful 🙂
and the Normal, Degraded mode is now "Normal" so its now perfect.

thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
keypass
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hi guys,

I've add some new disks into my host and now I have the same "Degraded" on these Storage... I've tried then to reinstall the same Patch but it wouldn't run "nothing to do"...

can I downgrade EXSi with an older Patch so that I can reinstall the latest Patch after?

so my error disappears?

thanks.

0 Kudos