VMware Cloud Community
dam88
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Deprecated VMFS volume(s) found on the host - ESXi 6.5 update 1

Hello,

I have this warning on all my hosts who are in version 6.5u1. I have 2 Datastores in VMFS3 and i can't migrate them for now.

I have found a kb for this problem but it's for ESXi 6.0 and it's seem resolve in patch Release ESXi600-201608401.

For ESXi 6.5u1 vmware says : "You can continue to use existing VMFS-3 datastores, but you cannot create VMFS-3 datastores. If you have VMFS-3 datastores, upgrade them to VMFS-6."

Restarting the ESXi host daemon and vCenter Agent services via these commands suppress the warning but after a while it reappear :

/etc/init.d/hostd restart

/etc/init.d/vpxa restart

So it's a bug ? is there a way to disable this warning ?

Thank you,

Damien.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello dam88,

I assume you are referring to this kb:

kb.vmware.com/kb/2109735

With that issue what occurred was that it did not properly check the file system VMFS type and thus incorrectly displayed the warning.

But in your case you ARE using a deprecated file-system type (VMFS-3 has been deprecated since ESXi 6.0) and thus the warning is there for a reason not due to the bug in the above article.

Consider upgrading these when you can, until that is done, these alarms are to be expected and I don't believe there is any method of suppressing them.

Bob

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Nick_Andreev
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Not sure I understand the problem. VMFS3 is a deprecated filesystem, that's why it's showing the warning. Are you just trying to suppress the warning or there's any specific issue you're experiencing?

---
If you found my answers helpful please consider marking them as helpful or correct.
VCIX-DCV, VCIX-NV, VCAP-CMA | vExpert '16, '17, '18
Blog: http://niktips.wordpress.com | Twitter: @nick_andreev_au
0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello dam88,

I assume you are referring to this kb:

kb.vmware.com/kb/2109735

With that issue what occurred was that it did not properly check the file system VMFS type and thus incorrectly displayed the warning.

But in your case you ARE using a deprecated file-system type (VMFS-3 has been deprecated since ESXi 6.0) and thus the warning is there for a reason not due to the bug in the above article.

Consider upgrading these when you can, until that is done, these alarms are to be expected and I don't believe there is any method of suppressing them.

Bob

0 Kudos