VMware Cloud Community
nb123
Contributor
Contributor

Deploy OVF - Cannot choose disk size?

Hey, when I'm deploying an OVF file in ESXI, it doesn't allow me to choose how much of my datastore disk I want to use up. If I allow it to just install on the whole disk, then that'll lock up the disk for me to deploy other OVFs yeah. How do I deploy an OVF file and limit the disk size to say 20 GB? Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community - The size of the disk will be equal to the original size of the disk of the VM and as I recall I do not think you can resize it as you deploy from the OVF

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I agree with . Allowing to resize the virtual disk would require the import function to also resize the guest OS partition(s), i.e. being fully aware of the guest's file system and rewrite it. What you can do to save disk space, is to deploy the OVF as thin provisioned.

André

0 Kudos
nb123
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the replies - my main concern is that it is asking me for the full disk size... but that doesn't allow me to deploy my other OVF file on the disk. If I deploy as thin provisioned, can I then deploy another OVF on the disk? Or will it show that the disk is fully occupied?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

It will all depend on the amount of free space you have on the OVF - if both thin provisioned disk can fit it will work - you will have to monitor the virtual disks and their growth -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos