VMware Cloud Community
Crossix
Contributor
Contributor

Dell R210 II Raid controller

Hello Vmware guys, i recently bought a 1u Dell r210 II Server 1270v2 cpu, it has a Perc S300 raid controller which is Not compatible with esxi, so im looking for advice of what aternatives i have for replacing this raid controller with working one? i have look at LSI 9260-4i MegaRAID 6Gb/s  but not sure if it will work, please any help/suggestion will be appreciated it. thank you very much

4 Replies
Kev_Johnson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You probably want to take a look at the HCL at VMware Compatibility Guide - I/O Device Search - that controller will indeed work, but I'd be looking at what kind of performance and features you want from the controller, and which version of ESXi you're running to find one to meet your needs. Not all RAID controllers and HBAs are equal!

Crossix
Contributor
Contributor

i just need it to run on esxi 6.7, ill be hosting no more than 4 vms on it! windows server , pfsense etc, i have 2 x 2tb Dell SAS hard drive on it, i want to have set it up as raid1, since i believe this server only recognizes up to 2tb maximum (correct me if im wrong). thank you for the help

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Take a look to  Dell PowerEdge RAID Controller (PERC) | Dell  and you'll find that a H200 is a supportet RAID Controller for R210. Taking a closer look to PERC - Dell™ PERC H200 and 6Gbps SAS HBA Features | Dell US there no Cache at all and a single spindle doesnt deliver the IOPS for 4 VMs.  A 2TB SAS sounds more like a NLSAS drive.

Its on the HCL for 6.0. Most likely it will runs under 6.5 because its based on a LSI chip.

Btw.  "S"130 mean "Software" which is a chipset/fake raid controller and needs special driver and support from the OS.

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
Crossix
Contributor
Contributor

I will give h200 a try, it cost me 40 dollars from ebay... btw what do you mean by "there no Cache at all and a single spinde doesnt deliver the IOPS for 4 VMs."?

PS: hope it will work on 6.7 esxi.

thanks

0 Kudos