VMware Cloud Community
lukeadmin
Contributor
Contributor

Current VLAN configuration not showing up in vSphere web client

I'm learning my way around the vSphere web client. I was looking at our VLAN configuration, but was seeing different information depending on the steps I took to view the information.

Method 1

1. Select Home > Networking
  2. Select a dvSwitch from the list
  3. Select the Related Objects tab, then the Distributed Port Groups toolbar button
  4. Select the port group of interest, then the "Edit distributed port group settings" toolbar button
  5. Select the VLAN option in the left navigation
  6. As expected, the current VLAN type and VLAN ID is displayed

Method 2 (steps taken from http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-55/index.jsp#com.vmware.vsphere.networking.doc/GUID-D5960C77-0D19-466...)

1. Browse to a distributed switch in the vSphere Web Client navigator.
  2. Right-click the distributed switch in the navigator and select Manage Distributed Port Groups.
  3. Select the VLAN check box and click Next.
  4. Select the port group that you want to edit and click Next.
  5. Unexpectedly, the current VLAN type and VLAN ID is not displayed. Instead the VLAN type always shows "None" regardless of the current configuration.

At first, I thought that the "Manage Distributed Port Groups" wizard must be ignoring the current configuration and just showing default entries for each setting, but it only seems to be happening for the VLAN option. When you use the "Manage Distributed Port Groups" wizard to manage any of the other settings (e.g., Security, Traffic Shaping, Teaming and failover, etc.), the wizard displays the current configuration instead of default values.

Am I doing something wrong, or is the "Manage Distributed Port Groups" wizard not working as it should for the VLAN option?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
nsby8
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, 

did you find any solution? 

0 Kudos