VMware Cloud Community
THP1138
Contributor
Contributor

Curious svmotion result

I am in the process of migrating a bunch of VMs off old VMFS3 luns onto newly provisioned VMFS5 luns - we have about 500 to do and so far every one of the 100+ we've done has been fine.

Last night I got a very odd one. I triggered the svmotion and it ran through & reported a success in the evnt log. The VMs files are on the new datastore and the settings point at thos files. However a full set of files was left on the old datastore.

I have seen svmotion leave traces behind before so I thought little of it and went to delete one of the files. The client threw and error telling me I could not delete the file.

The twist is that while the old file remained in place the newly copied equivalent file on the new datastore had been deleted - in this case a disk file on a running vm. The OS showed no errors at the deletion even though it hosted the paging file and on a reboot the paging file relocated back to the C drive.

I have considerd that I may be cracking up but the event logs in VMware confirm the sequence of events.

Anyone seen anything like this?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Only a guess. Did you have backups running during this time? Mabye one of the .vmdk files was locked by the backup at the time svMotion was about to delete it!?

André

0 Kudos
THP1138
Contributor
Contributor

I checked that one - we do run backups but that VM does not get backed up.

0 Kudos
jrmunday
Commander
Commander

Does the VM have any snapshots that reference a disk on the old datastore?

vExpert 2014 - 2022 | VCP6-DCV | http://www.jonmunday.net | @JonMunday77
0 Kudos
THP1138
Contributor
Contributor

Hi - no snapshots on that machine at all.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Does this VM has any kind of rdm mapped to it

0 Kudos