VMware Cloud Community
Ahmad_S_Amer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Create USB Hypervisor

Hello;

We have an old IBM x3650 M2 with a built-in usb port for booting as a built-in hypervisor (esxi).

The question is; how to create the bootable USB ?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pragg12
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The first link mentions about same if you scroll to bottom.

When you boot a server with this USB Flash Drive the ESXi Installer will copy the whole installer to the memory which means that you can install ESXi to the device where you are installing from. Just select it during the installation. This also works for diskless ESXi hosts where you want to install ESXi to an SD Card.

install-esxi-to-usb-flash-drive.png

Create a Bootable ESXi Installer USB Flash Drive

Consider marking this response as "Correct" or "Helpful" if you think my response helped you in any way.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
pragg12
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

Welcome to VMTN. 🙂

Refer to below articles:

How to create a bootable VMware ESXi USB drive in Windows

Consider marking this response as "Correct" or "Helpful" if you think my response helped you in any way.
0 Kudos
Ahmad_S_Amer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello;

Thanks for your reply.

However, the required isn't installation USB Smiley Happy

It is how to create a bootable USB with esxi, this will be then installed inside the server to be used as a built-in Hypervisor not for installing esxi

0 Kudos
pragg12
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The first link mentions about same if you scroll to bottom.

When you boot a server with this USB Flash Drive the ESXi Installer will copy the whole installer to the memory which means that you can install ESXi to the device where you are installing from. Just select it during the installation. This also works for diskless ESXi hosts where you want to install ESXi to an SD Card.

install-esxi-to-usb-flash-drive.png

Ahmad_S_Amer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Great Smiley Happy; Thanks

0 Kudos