VMware Cloud Community
SommyJo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Create Boot disk from configuration file

There is a Dell server with ESXi 6.7.
When it was installed (years ago) the boot was created on a USB stick inserted into an internal slot on the motherboard.

Now, the backup copy of this has been lost.

Is it possible to create a new USB stick from a configuration file saved with vim-cli?

I could duplicate the one used, but I would have to shut down the server and I don't want to do that.
If it were the only way, what Windows tools do you suggest using?

It is planned to purchase a new Dell server that will have 6 working disks. What do you suggest using to boot?

Many thanks in advance.

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Ritmo2k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You don't need an image copy of the boot disk for backup, use vim-cmd:

/bin/vim-cmd hostsvc/firmware/sync_config
/bin/vim-cmd hostsvc/firmware/backup_config

Then, you can install the same version on a new disk, and restore the backup file.

That said, if you are determined to use image backups, you can /bin/dd from the esxi console and perform an image copy while the server is running (the USB disk is read into memory during boot).

0 Kudos
SommyJo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry, I wrote something incorrect in my post. I didn't use the vim-cli command, but I used the vim-cmd command with the syntax as you suggested.
What I didn't understand (and what I was wondering about) is how to create a new boot USB stick.
On a new server I would have two USB sticks, one with the ESXi ISO image and one is the destination on which to write.

If I didn't misunderstand your last suggestion, now I should insert the new, empty USB stick into the server and then type /bin/dd specifying the two USB sticks.
For example /bin/dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb

0 Kudos
Ritmo2k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You would insert the empty USB disk in the original, source server that you want to clone.

Then you can issue the dd command, but keep in mind your paths will look something like /dev/disks/mpx.vmhba32:C0:T0:L0.

After the clone is complete, you can transfer the destination USB disk to the new server and boot from it.

However, I don't think this is your best solution, the supported method I mentioned is guaranteed to be reliable and reproducible.

0 Kudos